Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Re: Star Wars
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:41 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Howard Taylor did his review for it. There's already quite a bit of discussion.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:19 am 
Galaxy Hunter wrote:
Saw it, and as a long-time fan absolutely hated the second half. For one reason: Kylo "I'm-so-emo-PLEASE-take-me-seriously" Ren. I hated his character ever since the fifth or sixth scene with him, and it ruined the entire film for me.

I think it all comes down to the fact that Darth Vader is seen through his son's eyes, while Kylo Ren is viewed from his father's perspective. As a kid, you're frightened of this brooding, demanding, seemingly all-powerful father figure. As a parent, you're scared that your child is going to squander his potential and :kzk: his life up.

Maybe it's just because my son is apparently aspiring to become a super-villain, but that part actually really spoke to me...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:57 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
kitoba wrote:
Maybe it's just because my son is apparently aspiring to become a super-villain

Um. Should we be concerned?

As for Kylo Ren, I thought it was an interesting take. It makes sense to me because the Sith get their power from their hatred and anger right? And lord knows Ren has plenty of anger. He comes off as a petulant adolescent, true, but the Supreme Leader makes it clear he's still in training. I guess that's why he hasn't gotten a Darth title yet. Also of note is that he doesn't kill his subordinates, even though he clearly has no issue with killing. It makes me wonder if Snoke has him on a pretty tight leash, and if so, why?

Did you really want another Vader? Aren't there enough similarities to A New Hope in this film?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:27 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
Okay, yes... Kylo Ren has anger management issues... and Daddy issues... but he's seriously one of the strongest force users ever seen on screen.

Lets take his force use as it goes:
[spoiler]
- Stops a blaster bolt cold in mid-shot. No other force user has ever been shown to be able to do that. Block, redirect, yes... Stop dead? nope.
- Forces info from a resistant subject. Vader couldn't do that when he had Leia captured.
- K.O.s someone (who turns out to be a seriously powerful force user in her own right) by waving his hand.
- Takes a Bowcaster shot, which sends Stormtroopers flipping end over end, to his center mass, SHRUGS IT OFF, and then has a lightsaber duel against two people.
[/Spoiler]

Emo? yes. Bit of a Badass, yes.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:44 pm 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
Speaking of emo, if you haven't already, check out the Emo Kylo Ren Twitter account someone set up. It's hysterical!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:01 pm 
I would also recommend the lonley Luke Skywalker twitter feed.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:30 am 
AOL: TonySopranoRival
Location: Above a convinience store (backwaterplanet.com anyone?)
General consensus seems to be "Good but not great".

Like, it brought back the spirit of the original Star Wars but it was too much a rehash of the original Star Wars.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:28 am 
They rehashed All The Things.
Even the tiniest details. There were even not just one, but two throwaway "garbage" jokes. I read this article whose author argued that it was essentially a reboot, only with new characters, a theory which I'm not sure I completely buy, but it sure felt like watching the same movie rearranged like one of those sliding picture puzzles.

I don't know how I feel about it being built out into another sprawling universe to rival the Marvel movies, with umpteen sequels and spin-offs. Because then I'll (OK, mostly Ngau) will feel obligated to see them all. Why does Disney have to own everything?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:11 am 
It seemed like they had a checklist, of what fans liked most and ticked off every item. And they pretty much did hit a global reset button, going back to the state at the begin of the old trilogy.

The spawling universe with spin offs and such is IMO pretty much in the old spirit, only that there most was done in semi canon books and AFAIK 2 almost forgotten movies. Which i would assume was due to ecconomic not artistic reasons.

They also have some instances of the power inflation effect, that i will discuss in spoiler color.

The imperium was defeated and the sorry remainants of the old order managed to build an even bigger and badder death star.
Luke needed some minimal training by Obiwan on the way to Alderan, to be able to do Jedi stuff and IIRC it was a sign of his heroic greatness, that he did it with that little training. Now Rey spontainously develops her powers, without any guidance.
And while that one is not inflation, i am suprised that while previously it seems only thoose with force powers used light sabers (presumbly they were the only ones able to do so, without cutting their limbs off), now Finn fights with a light saber too.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:52 am 
I was vaguely aware of some of the earlier spin-offs (namely the animated series) but I didn't feel obligated to pay attention to them. Now I do. I'm already giving all my money to one mega movie franchise, dammit!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:16 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
arcosh wrote:

Luke needed some minimal training by Obiwan on the way to Alderan, to be able to do Jedi stuff and IIRC it was a sign of his heroic greatness, that he did it with that little training. Now Rey spontainously develops her powers, without any guidance.

And while that one is not inflation, i am suprised that while previously it seems only thoose with force powers used light sabers (presumbly they were the only ones able to do so, without cutting their limbs off), now Finn fights with a light saber too.

"Bullseying womprats" and a few other throwaway items were hints to Luke's latent force affinity before Obi-Wan kicked it up. [spoiler] Rey spontaneously tapped into powers she never knew she had, but were otherwise hinted at. good agility, nasty fighter with her pike, etc... Under Luke's tutelage she may develop along similar lines. only time will tell. [/spoiler]

ESB showed that it wasn't just Jedi which could use a saber, Solo used it to open the Tauntaun. I'll admit, it's not fighting, but it showed that it was a mechanical thing to use one, not a force power. [spoiler] Finn was a stormtrooper, presumably trained in hand-to-hand fighting, or maybe the shock baton which was in the movie. Furthermore, the comics show that the trooper who shouts "TRAITOR" was one of Finn's old squadmates who trained with him. Rey is a nasty fighter with that pike of hers, defeating a number of aggressors with relative ease at the opening of the movie. It's not a far stretch she could hold her own against a severely wounded Kylo Ren. [/spoiler] I can easily see, when she assembles her Lightsaber, that it would be int the form of a light-pike, like Darth Maul used.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:52 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
My pet theory to explain why she's so powerful is that she's, well, she's the Force incarnate. The name of the movie is "The Force Awakens" and she certainly has an awakening.

This has interesting consequences. It may be that Anakin is NOT the chosen one. His "balance" was pretty wonky to say the least.

If not, I'm really kind of hoping she's not a skywalker or a Solo. I think it'd be cool if she was Palpatine's kid. This would explain why it was necessary to hide her on Jakuu-- to keep her the hell away from her dad.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I think the "balance" they're referring to in the prophecy is that the Sith limit themselves to 2, which means the Jedi should also limit themselves to two.

After the massacre, there are only two jedi left, Obi-wan and Yoda, and two sith, the emperor and Vader.

Luke awakens, and Obi wan dies. Leia awakens, yoda dies.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat