Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:03 am 
Hmmmm.

Trump is now swearing up and down that his (secret!) health care plan will cover everybody. Everybody! More cheaply! With better coverage! I don't believe he knows what he's talking about, of course. Tom Price's plan is one of the crappier ones that Republicans have floated.

But I imagine he's making the Republicans in Congress nervous.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:24 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Especially the ones who have to sneak out the back door to escape their constituents.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:28 am 
Unless Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell have had a stroke and come around to the idea of single payer, there's got to be a bait and switch coming up. If they pull it off I will be impressed. Appalled, horrified, but impressed.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:39 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
So, Vegas odds on impeachment within 6 months are 4 to 1.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:17 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Fairs do; he'll have committed an impeachable offense before Pence is even sworn in (or perhaps several). Still, it's not like the GOP will be profiles in courage about all of this. Until he costs them something significant the House won't turn on him.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:22 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Yeah. He'll be committing impeachable offenses left and right from day one and the Republicans will be fighting tooth and nail to keep him in office.

It's pretty sad.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:46 pm 
Kajin wrote:
Yeah. He'll be committing impeachable offenses left and right from day one and the Republicans will be fighting tooth and nail to keep him in office.

Or not, why wouldn't they prefer Pence?

All he brings to the party is raw votes. If his base cools on him, he's toast. He hasn't built any capital whatsoever with the party machinery.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:04 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
A mix of Sunk Cost Fallacy and Herd Mentality. He's Republican now, so they have to form a strong front against the Blue Menace. Letting him get impeached for his many many crimes against the nation and his own position would be absolutely unthinkable. A loss of face the party could never recover from. Also if they keep throwing enough of their dignity into the fire they'll eventually... win something, I guess. A plush of Roger from American Dad, I imagine.

Also if they let him get impeached for his many many crimes against the nation he'll cry conspiracy and his supporters might literally eat the Republican party leaders alive.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:12 pm 
Pence is bad enough in his own right. Blurgh.

So, do you think the Democrats just blew this one by nominating such an uninspiring and distrusted figure as Clinton? A lot of the muck clinging to Clinton was not her fault, but politics isn't fair and baggage is baggage. It's weird that nobody except Sanders and a couple of obscure Democrats I've never even heard of dared to challenge Clinton in 2016, and Sanders was only a Democrat by convenience.

Editing to add:
Quote:
All he brings to the party is raw votes. If his base cools on him, he's toast. He hasn't built any capital whatsoever with the party machinery.

That's the $undisclosed, possibly Russian-backed millions question, isn't it? How do you get the base to cool on him? Trump is an expert at keeping his base riled up. The more he's hated, the more pumped up they get. He is the awful music teenagers listen to specifically to annoy their parents. Can stuntsmanship and spite override 4 years of mundane and probably increasingly crappy reality?

Bush started two frickin' wars, one of them completely unnecessary, and he didn't become truly unpopular until Hurricane Katrina revealed the incompetence of his administration. That's what it took to cut through the jingoism.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:32 am 
Trump has no loyality towards the Republican party. So when they will not go along with one of his plans he might try to get that plan through with the Democrats. Or just throw a tantrum, damaging the Republicans. And then i guess they will no longer shy away from impeaching him.

The democrats mistake was IMO that they were too cautious. Run a well known candiate, who has prooven to be competent at politics, decide on the candidate in backroom negotiations, rather then having open competition, run an apease everyone campain, no really radical messages of plans. That is a good strategy, if most of the population thinks things are running well and the country is moving in the right direction. But a lot of people think pretty much the opposite and thus want something that feels like a bootleg turn, not some gentle steering in the slightly different direction.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:59 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Apparently Trump had rather less than half as many folks show up for his ceremony as Obama did. Not to worry; Trump used the pictures of Obama's ceremony instead of his own when communicating about it. I wonder if the fools who turned out for him will notice that the weather is wrong or how many of them suddenly turned black...

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:12 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Kea wrote:
It's weird that nobody except Sanders and a couple of obscure Democrats I've never even heard of dared to challenge Clinton in 2016, and Sanders was only a Democrat by convenience.

I think most Democrats felt that Clinton was unbeatable. There was also probably an attitude of "this is her time", as well so I don't think it's that odd that she had only one serious challenger.

Also I think the "rigging" by the DNC is a bit overblown. Yeah they were in Clinton's corner but she was never really in any danger of losing the nomination at any point. She led the whole time.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:15 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Which kind of highlights the damage that Bill and Barack did to the Democrats; there were only a scant handful of Democrats who could have beaten her, and none tried. They have as little bench as the Republicans, and unlike the Republicans they need one.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:10 pm 
Dodger77 wrote:
Also I think the "rigging" by the DNC is a bit overblown. Yeah they were in Clinton's corner but she was never really in any danger of losing the nomination at any point. She led the whole time.

I really have to disagree with that. I remember feeling unsettled at how hard HRC was being pushed even before she had announced her candidacy. The party leadership's steadfast support of their predetermined insider champion helped convince the rank and file to ignore the warnings and believe her massive (deserved or not) baggage would not be an issue. It also fed into the narrative of the Democrats being just as corrupt as the Republicans that made so many jump ship out of frustration once the general election rolled around.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:42 pm 
I've heard the criticism that Obama pretty much ignored party-building at the state and local level for 8 years. But what should he have done differently? I don't know what presidents are supposed to do in that regard. That's not rhetorical, I actually don't know.

And oh look, Trump has signed an executive order to stop enforcing the ACA, not that an executive order can do much. But I think this means the Republicans are going to adopt the tactic of rush the repeal through before anybody has time to look closely at what they're doing. They've already forbidden the Congressional Budget Office from estimating the cost of the repeal!

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts