Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:38 am 
arcosh wrote:
He also favours right wing small man populist politics

I'm familiar with "big man" politics, but what's "small man" politics?

BTW, I know nothing about Austrian politics other than what you posted above, but Van der Bellen sounds really good to me... is that accurate? I'm technically a Green myself, although it isn't really a viable political party over here in the states.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:56 am 
I think an other term for "small man" is "man on the street". Basically it means to apeal to lower education and income, blue collar, but otherwise average voters.

I also think van der Bellen is one of our best politicans. Socially liberal, ecconomically center left and pragmatic. A tendency to give complex answers, rather then short simple stock statements. Contradicts the orthodoxy of his own camp at times. (though admitedly he did things like a suprise 180 degree on TTIP, that he had originally seen positivly, in mid campain)

I guess in the US he would have been a Democrat, after all he had been with the social democrats way in the past (IIRC in the 80s) and only later joined the Greens, quite possibly because our election systems gives small parties more opportunities and thus there is less pressure on the less Quixotic politicans to join one of the big parties.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 pm 
Well, the international media is reporting it as Austria having dodged the far right bullet, so nothing exciting happening is a very good thing.

The upcoming French election looks terrible, it looks like it's going to be a choice between the hard right and the crazy hard right.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts