Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ] 

What do you mean, polls need titles?
Zombies  8%  [ 4 ]
Naughty Nurses  26%  [ 13 ]
Wait, was that Pasquirlio?  8%  [ 4 ]
Behold, the power of Cheese!  26%  [ 13 ]
...I got a rock :(  32%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 50

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 am 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
Sorceress wrote:
Dodger, you *killed* Queso? How bloody DARE YOU!

Also, I am DEEPLY AND TOTALLY offended that you did not remember me when listing people with signatures, as it were. I have been signing posts with the good and honorable name of MOOP! for longer than I can remember, practically. How dare you try to marginalize my grand and glorious planet! Why, I bet you don't even LIKE orange juice trees!

*slaps Dodger with a bright orange fingerless glove* I challenge YOU, good sir, to a duel! And no scurrying back into relative obscurity with you --I know you too well for that!

~Sor
MOOP!

Disclaimer: I am not really offended

Reading your old posts, I've always really wondered. Just what is the significance of "MOOP!"?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:32 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Sorceress wrote:
Dodger, you *killed* Queso? How bloody DARE YOU!

She got better.

Sorceress wrote:
Also, I am DEEPLY AND TOTALLY offended that you did not remember me when listing people with signatures, as it were. I have been signing posts with the good and honorable name of MOOP! for longer than I can remember, practically. How dare you try to marginalize my grand and glorious planet! Why, I bet you don't even LIKE orange juice trees!

What? An orange juice tree would be amazing! Madam, you wound me...

Sorceress wrote:
*slaps Dodger with a bright orange fingerless glove* I challenge YOU, good sir, to a duel! And no scurrying back into relative obscurity with you --I know you too well for that!
...again!

*falls to the floor*

The Honorable Queen of MOOP! has bested me. As such, I am sentenced to be re-educated as to the awesomeness of Her MOOP!ness' sig... by having her post at least once daily for...a lot of days. Please? ;-)

(Rats, I was *this* close to having the first post on each of the last three new pages!)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:47 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Dodger! Your lack of power greatly disturbs me. Your ability to fight a duel is akin to a turtle wearing a homage. To what, you wonder?! In your defeat you'll never know. At this rate, the title of King of the Potato people will never be bestowed, and your power to decree that people will be punished with W.O.O shall remain woefully unfulfilled.

....also suddenly it occurs to me that saying W.O.O is inherently different to typing it, as it's meaning becomes warped and twisted. Maybe I should've been exact and said "With-Out Oxygen". Oh well.

Next up, psychotic penguins!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:35 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: kdsorceress
AOL: kdsorceress
Funky Honky wrote:
Reading your old posts, I've always really wondered. Just what is the significance of "MOOP!"?

Aaaaaaages ago (like, somewhere in 2003 sometime) there was a board thread about creating a planet. Mine was called "MOOP!" spelled in all-caps and with the bang, and was a place where all my various ideals for the world came true.

I've pretty much used it as "my" word ever since then, including ending almost everything except the most serious of posts with it and my signature (which started as ~Sorceress, and has drifted to ~Sorcy, and, pretty much ever since I really seriously started to hang out with RiffsTrenchCoat, ~Sor)

Andumyeah. It's mostly just me being silly, but also makes a nice marker for myself in the world.

Dodger77 wrote:
The Honorable Queen of MOOP! has bested me. As such, I am sentenced to be re-educated as to the awesomeness of Her MOOP!ness' sig... by having her post at least once daily for...a lot of days. Please? ;-)

Her majesty is nothing if not gracious to her fallen enemies. Your wish is to be granted...at least until finals week and going back to Maryland intervene. (Though at least the latter may have me posting more...)

~Sor
MOOP!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:10 am 
AOL: quesoLOCO27
Sorc! *gives you cheese on a shiny toothpick*

So, I've always wondered... is it more of a...

MOOP!-OOP!-a-DOOP!

...or a...

SHOOP DA MOOP!

Post subject: regularity
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:06 pm 
Honestly, it's very strange. I think that someone should do a study about internet communities, and I'm sure maybe someone has, but the world is big enough and my time is limited enough (and my methodology poor enough), that I haven't read it. I mean, people have had clubs and associations for as long as there have been anything we would think of as people, but I haven't studied sociology, so I don't know the rules for how they come about and how long they last. My friend started an intellectual discussion club (a veritable "Englightenment Salon") back when we were in high school, and the plan (which I had dismissed as fantasy) was for it to expand, and continue onwards, and for people across this entire country to start chapters at their own schools---well, I don't know how it all turned out. But no matter how much I bore people by continuing to talk about it, continuing to write about it, I remain in awe of how this sort of thing must be happening all the time, all around us, in this dense, complex civilization full of cultures filled with subcultures filled with subsubcultures---all they way down to the the level of the pair, or the individual---or you could wonder (it would be silly, I think, for several reasons having to do with how the optimizing pressure of natural selection is an altogether different force than the emergence of human cultures, but the point is that you could, not all that implausibly, wonder) if it continues within the individual as well---if there's something analogous to a conspiracy plot buried in your visual cortex. Someone starts a webcomic, and drags a few hits away from competing sites, here and there---or drags a few minutes away from people who otherwise would not have spent that minute reading on the internet. Slowly, slowly, the readership begins to grow, and our Artist even starts a forum using off-the-shelf software---and people actually sign up! And then the Artist loses her dayjob and can't keep the site running and the forum community dies. But what if the artist is able to make money from the Art?---and this entire little tiny community starts up over the aether, and some people sign up and post for a few weeks, only to get bored after a while and leave---while others stick around for years. What are their dayjobs like? And if you do stay for years, it's as if people know you, though they only know your chosen name (where we live in this equilibrium where everyone including you thinks that chosen names are fake). And they say it's worse when you're relatively young and change so quickly, but if you do stick around for years, it can be kind of embarrassing to look back (or remember if it's not archived) at your old posts and see how poorly you behaved. How stupid you were. But oh strange turnover---people form communities. Some communities form in person, and some people have extended families---and now---strange to think it so new, but it's new---we have this new aether to play it. And sometimes communities form in a forum around a webcomic, and sometimes communities form in a comment thread around a blog---and I have to say that I favor the comment threads that get archived in a way that forums generally don't---but that's not my point. So what is my point? I'm not sure; I can't say---they say you shouldn't speak when you have nothing to say, but I think you might as well speak as long as you are careful to hide it away and label it "Random Silliness"---because it is silly. You shouldn't expect to be taken as nonsilly when you are really in fact silly. Silly and random. Only it's a puzzle---I can't be speaking randomly---I cannot really be speaking randomly, because ... well, it is complicated. One thing is that we misuse the word random, no seriously, all the time. The other thing is that I've learned a thing or two about the nature of randomness. We have this entire probability theory---random according to what distribution? You can draw from a Gaussian, or from a uniform distribution, or you can pick numbers that sound "random" to you, even though humans are known to be very bad at this---speaking quite generally, the world contains more regularities than we know how to see. The upshot is if you think you're only visiting (the old blog or your parents or whatever) on December 25 "randomly"---but it wasn't random. There were some very predictable causes. But they're boring regularities---maybe that's what random means, really. Not just what we can't predict in this deterministic universe (and don't lecture me about the collapse of the wavefunction, lest I reply in kind about relative states), but that which we don't care to predict. You can sing, "It makes no difference to me," but don't forget how much weight those two words bear. To me, it makes no difference to me. Merry et cetera

ADDENDUM--- Although quickly, quickly, you can click a name and live through the nostalgia, and what is Christmas for, anyway, if you're not going to use it for nostalgia? But really. I'm not sure you shouldn't be using this moment to look to the future. No to look back on weepy Christmases on internet time, but the future on a still faster pace. It doesn't matter all that much if you were immature before, because who is going to dig up the oldest post? Only a few people are famous enough that reporters are going to scrutinize the details of your life, and many of us drop out of the mainstream altogether; we are all anonymous, in the halls of academia there are worlds that no one told you about. But then this is just one of my themes nowadays. Still, maybe it's worth mentioning a few times. Everyone talks about how in the long run, the stock market gets seven percent, but how often do people tell you about the returns to relative obscurity?---which reach stratospherically upwards to seventy-seven percent, if you can dodge ... the rain. But it's not funny to ramble on when you have nothing to say, and if you thought you enjoyed this great month of December, and this rainy season, then why do all the times ring hollow? Why don't you squeeze the utility out of this only moment? It is time to get organized. This is a precise test of your rationality, nothing less.

SECOND ADDENDUM--- Right, but I forgot a remark on conventions. In some forums, nearly everyone uses a pseudonym, often a silly one; whereas in academia everyone uses their real name; whereas on some blogs and forums, some people use their real name and others use a pseudonym. To what extent do communities know about each other?

Post subject: Re: regularity
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:42 am 
AOL: quesoLOCO27
Trainer Lady Queso throws a Pokeball at the wild (or, perhaps, nostalgic) TheNewAuk! :kiki:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:48 am 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
Woo hoo! The Nurses took the lead!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:52 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Funky Honky wrote:
Woo hoo! The Nurses took the lead!

Not! Disgruntled FRPG player turncoats to the cheesy side, for it is the cheesiest.

Post subject: gotta catch 'em all
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:10 pm 
quesoLOCO27 wrote:
the wild (or, perhaps, nostalgic)

Maybe both!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:32 pm 
New Auk? Is that really you? :torg:

We've got a new Poetry thread open and waiting for you, old friend...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:55 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
TheNewAuk wrote:
One thing is that we misuse the word random, no seriously, all the time.

Honestly, I'm more irritated by people misusing the word 'random' to mean 'funny', 'odd' or 'non sequitur' than I am with people using it to describe things that, although chaotic, apparently random, impractical to predict or at least convenient to model as random, are technically deterministic and non-random.

Oh, and hello, old chap. Long time no see.

Post subject: described better
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:15 pm 
AxelFendersson wrote:
Honestly, I'm more irritated by people misusing the word 'random' to mean 'funny', 'odd' or 'non sequitur' than I am with people using it to describe things that, although chaotic, apparently random, impractical to predict or at least convenient to model as random, are technically deterministic and non-random.

"Computationally Intractable Silliness -- Zombies in 4.928430 plus or minus 0.000003" (Specifically, silliness prediction is in EXPTIME.)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:09 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
TheNewAuk wrote:
Honestly, it's very strange. I think that someone should do a study about internet communities, and I'm sure maybe someone has, but the world is big enough and my time is limited enough (and my methodology poor enough), that I haven't read it. I mean, people have had clubs and associations for as long as there have been anything we would think of as people, but I haven't studied sociology, so I don't know the rules for how they come about and how long they last. My friend started an intellectual discussion club (a veritable "Englightenment Salon") back when we were in high school, and the plan (which I had dismissed as fantasy) was for it to expand, and continue onwards, and for people across this entire country to start chapters at their own schools---well, I don't know how it all turned out. But no matter how much I bore people by continuing to talk about it, continuing to write about it, I remain in awe of how this sort of thing must be happening all the time, all around us, in this dense, complex civilization full of cultures filled with subcultures filled with subsubcultures---all they way down to the the level of the pair, or the individual---or you could wonder (it would be silly, I think, for several reasons having to do with how the optimizing pressure of natural selection is an altogether different force than the emergence of human cultures, but the point is that you could, not all that implausibly, wonder) if it continues within the individual as well---if there's something analogous to a conspiracy plot buried in your visual cortex. Someone starts a webcomic, and drags a few hits away from competing sites, here and there---or drags a few minutes away from people who otherwise would not have spent that minute reading on the internet. Slowly, slowly, the readership begins to grow, and our Artist even starts a forum using off-the-shelf software---and people actually sign up! And then the Artist loses her dayjob and can't keep the site running and the forum community dies. But what if the artist is able to make money from the Art?---and this entire little tiny community starts up over the aether, and some people sign up and post for a few weeks, only to get bored after a while and leave---while others stick around for years. What are their dayjobs like? And if you do stay for years, it's as if people know you, though they only know your chosen name (where we live in this equilibrium where everyone including you thinks that chosen names are fake). And they say it's worse when you're relatively young and change so quickly, but if you do stick around for years, it can be kind of embarrassing to look back (or remember if it's not archived) at your old posts and see how poorly you behaved. How stupid you were. But oh strange turnover---people form communities. Some communities form in person, and some people have extended families---and now---strange to think it so new, but it's new---we have this new aether to play it. And sometimes communities form in a forum around a webcomic, and sometimes communities form in a comment thread around a blog---and I have to say that I favor the comment threads that get archived in a way that forums generally don't---but that's not my point. So what is my point? I'm not sure; I can't say---they say you shouldn't speak when you have nothing to say, but I think you might as well speak as long as you are careful to hide it away and label it "Random Silliness"---because it is silly. You shouldn't expect to be taken as nonsilly when you are really in fact silly. Silly and random. Only it's a puzzle---I can't be speaking randomly---I cannot really be speaking randomly, because ... well, it is complicated. One thing is that we misuse the word random, no seriously, all the time. The other thing is that I've learned a thing or two about the nature of randomness. We have this entire probability theory---random according to what distribution? You can draw from a Gaussian, or from a uniform distribution, or you can pick numbers that sound "random" to you, even though humans are known to be very bad at this---speaking quite generally, the world contains more regularities than we know how to see. The upshot is if you think you're only visiting (the old blog or your parents or whatever) on December 25 "randomly"---but it wasn't random. There were some very predictable causes. But they're boring regularities---maybe that's what random means, really. Not just what we can't predict in this deterministic universe (and don't lecture me about the collapse of the wavefunction, lest I reply in kind about relative states), but that which we don't care to predict. You can sing, "It makes no difference to me," but don't forget how much weight those two words bear. To me, it makes no difference to me. Merry et cetera

ADDENDUM--- Although quickly, quickly, you can click a name and live through the nostalgia, and what is Christmas for, anyway, if you're not going to use it for nostalgia? But really. I'm not sure you shouldn't be using this moment to look to the future. No to look back on weepy Christmases on internet time, but the future on a still faster pace. It doesn't matter all that much if you were immature before, because who is going to dig up the oldest post? Only a few people are famous enough that reporters are going to scrutinize the details of your life, and many of us drop out of the mainstream altogether; we are all anonymous, in the halls of academia there are worlds that no one told you about. But then this is just one of my themes nowadays. Still, maybe it's worth mentioning a few times. Everyone talks about how in the long run, the stock market gets seven percent, but how often do people tell you about the returns to relative obscurity?---which reach stratospherically upwards to seventy-seven percent, if you can dodge ... the rain. But it's not funny to ramble on when you have nothing to say, and if you thought you enjoyed this great month of December, and this rainy season, then why do all the times ring hollow? Why don't you squeeze the utility out of this only moment? It is time to get organized. This is a precise test of your rationality, nothing less.

SECOND ADDENDUM--- Right, but I forgot a remark on conventions. In some forums, nearly everyone uses a pseudonym, often a silly one; whereas in academia everyone uses their real name; whereas on some blogs and forums, some people use their real name and others use a pseudonym. To what extent do communities know about each other?

Hooray for Computationally Intractable Silliness!* Welcome back TheNewAuk! You know, it would be cool to find someone with a strong grasp of Sluggy.Net historical context because that person would be able to tell TNA that his oldest posts circa 2002-2004 have been lost, but that his more recent work, between 2005 and the present are still in the current archive. That person might also point out that it's fairly nifty that this thread has posts from Morthum, Llefser, TNA, Sorceress, quesoLOCO27, who are all people that used to be regulars (particularly with regard to Random Silliness) not to mention all the new and not so new schoolers, and as such could be a useful reference point for people interested in delving into the history of such things. This person might also be called on to explain that even though TNA's posts are of considerable length, it's still a good idea to quote them in their entirety based on past behaviors of said poster. Do you guys know anyone like that? Of course, it's entirely possible that said person would be discussing such historical contexts so much that everyone else is tired of his/her constantly bringing it up and would be shouted down this time, so maybe it's not such a good idea after all...

And for the record, I do not play the stock market.

*Can the next RS thread be called Computationally Intractable Silliness?

POOF!
*Returns to Relative Obscurity*

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 am 
TheNewAuk wrote:
"Computationally Intractable Silliness -- Zombies in 4.928430 plus or minus 0.000003" (Specifically, silliness prediction is in EXPTIME.)

So it's true! There is a "Silliness Equation"! You may have just revolutionized the field of humor physics.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness