Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:09 pm 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
And we have answers... not CORRECT answers for the most part, but answers. For the record, Stan Cold, you're on my list :P

• I say "almost" because while Eustace was a thoroughly wretched person, he grew much during the experiences chronicled herein, and not just in size. Suggested by Alternate Torg, chosen by nobody

• He was quite disliked by his schoolmates, but never seemed bothered about it---a state of affairs which made him even more unpopular. Suggested by inspiration, chosen by nobody

• It wasn't entirely his fault, however; he had been badly bought up, and had read none of the right sort of books. Suggested by CCC, chosen by kitoba and Alternate Torg

• His parents called him Eustace Clarence, and masters called him Scrubb. Written by C.S. Lewis, chosen by Stan Cold

• He went to a very progressive school where they were instructed to call their teachers by their first names, and had ever-so-artistic parents who encouraged him to express all his worst impulses freely; and the upshot is he was just as miserable a person as you might well imagine. Suggested by kitoba, chosen by CCC, drachefly and inspiration

• Deserved to remain a dragon for the rest of his days. Suggested by Jorodryn

• Every summer, the Pevensies were subjected to him, along with the hospitality of his even more regrettable mother. Suggested by drachefly, chosen by Jorodryn

• He was a troublesome lad and only excelled at rabble-rousing. Suggested by Stan Cold

Which, therefore, makes the standings as such:

kitoba: 10+3=13
CCC: 9+2=11
Solara Hanover: 8
Jorodryn: 7
drachefly: 6+1=7
Stan Cold: 5+2=7
AlternateTorg: 5
inspiration: 1

So... I'mma say, AlternateTorg, take it away!!!

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:19 pm 
Well done, CCC. I thought you were just boasting when you said your entry was the most plausible, but at least to my ear it sounded more like Lewis than the real thing did. It had the feel I was going for in mine, but without being so wordy.

Drache, I wasn't fooled by yours, but I did think it was a great second line!

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:28 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
After considering A Midsummer Night's Dream, War of the Worlds and The Time Machine; I have decided to go with The Sign of Four:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel-piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:58 am 
Hmmm. It seems that the three lines I thought were possible, once I eliminated my own, were Inspiration's, Kitoba's and C.S. Lewis's. Thank you for getting it right, Stan; had you not done so, Solara would have caught up to me.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:10 am 
AOL: drachefly
I was pretty sure CCC's wasn't it, and was on the fence between Kitoba and Lewis. I wasn't sure that 'oh-so-artistic' was really in Lewis style, but went with it. Should have remembered that a real author isn't trying so hard specifically on the second sentence.

By the way, thanks, Kitoba.

I rather like Inspiration's, though I was very confident that it wasn't right.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:53 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
That was won out of sentiment. I used to tell my teachers to call me Scrubb after reading that one.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:44 pm 
Waiting on a couple more lines. If I don't get them in the next couple of days, I'll post without them.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:49 pm 
AOL: drachefly
Somehow I missed that we had started a new round!

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:40 pm 
Quote:
With his long, white, nervous fingers he adjusted the delicate needle and rolled back his left shirtcuff.

Quote:
I sat up straighter - any event which called for his concentration-aiding coca extract was no ordinary crime.

Quote:
He placed the needle into the bottle, and drew a precise amount of the liquid into the syringe.

Quote:
He placed the items next to his chair and reached for his violin.

Quote:
He looked at it for a moment before thrusting it into his arm.

Quote:
As a physician I was not a fan of Holmes' habit, but as a friend I had long learned the uselessness of argument.

Quote:
He then proceeded to fill the syringe with the substance withing the bottle and, with a sigh of content, injected the contents into his arm.

Quote:
His most recent case having been finished in a highly satisfactory fashion, and with a great deal of interest from the news-papers, he had quit London for the quieter air of the countryside these past three weeks.

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:33 pm 
Eliminated my own option earlier in the process this time. Ended up choosing between two.

It was a much easier choice than last time...

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:51 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
I like my line the best

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:02 pm 
This might just be the round where I finally lose my lead.... :kzk:

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:43 am 
Only lacking a guess from drachefly...

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 pm 
I have the results from this round, the first line of which was:
Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel-piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case.

And here are the second lines:
With his long, white, nervous fingers he adjusted the delicate needle and rolled back his left shirtcuff.
The real deal, guessed by inspiration and Stan Cold. Yep, I listed the real quote first. I'm curious as to whether this threw off anyone's metagame.

drachefly wrote:
I sat up straighter - any event which called for his concentration-aiding coca extract was no ordinary crime.
No guesses.

CCC wrote:
He placed the needle into the bottle, and drew a precise amount of the liquid into the syringe.
Guessed by Jorodryn.

Solara Hanover wrote:
He placed the items next to his chair and reached for his violin.
No guesses. A shame, as it mentioned the famous violin, though perhaps it was because people didn't think he'd pick them up just to put them down again.

Jorodryn wrote:
He looked at it for a moment before thrusting it into his arm.
Guessed by drachefly.

kitoba wrote:
As a physician I was not a fan of Holmes' habit, but as a friend I had long learned the uselessness of argument.
Guessed by CCC. I liked that this line was submitted, as in the book Watson indeed proceeds to protest Holmes' drug habit with some vehemence. (see below) This line made me curious about the usage of the term "fan" as being short for "fanatic." From what I've read, it is an American abbreviation, so I don't know that Doyle would have used it. Still, it attracted a guess, so that's all that matters!

Stan Cold wrote:
He then proceeded to fill the syringe with the substance withing the bottle and, with a sigh of content, injected the contents into his arm.
No guesses.

inspiration wrote:
His most recent case having been finished in a highly satisfactory fashion, and with a great deal of interest from the news-papers, he had quit London for the quieter air of the countryside these past three weeks.
Guessed by kitoba and Solara Hanover.

CCC: +1
inspiration: +4
Jorodryn: +1
kitoba: +1
Stan Cold: +2

As I very much enjoy this book and thought you might like to see how the scene proceeds, here is the start of the book, courtesy of Wikisource:

Quote:
Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantelpiece, and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. With his long, white, nervous fingers he adjusted the delicate needle and rolled back his left shirtcuff. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist, all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks. Finally, he thrust the sharp point home, pressed down the tiny piston, and sank back into the velvet-lined armchair with a long sigh of satisfaction.

Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance, but custom had not reconciled my mind to it. On the contrary, from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight, and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject; but there was that in the cool, nonchalant air of my companion which made him the last man with whom one would care to take anything approaching to a liberty. His great powers, his masterly manner, and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities, all made me diffident and backward in crossing him.

Yet upon that afternoon, whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch or the additional exasperation produced by the extreme deliberation of his manner, I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer.

"Which is it to-day," I asked, "morphine or cocaine?"

He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened.

"It is cocaine," he said, "a seven-per-cent solution. Would you care to try it?"

"No, indeed," I answered brusquely. "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it."

He smiled at my vehemence. "Perhaps you are right, Watson," he said. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. I find it, however, so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind that its secondary action is a matter of small moment."

"But consider!" I said earnestly. "Count the cost! Your brain may, as you say, be roused and excited, but it is a pathological and morbid process which involves increased tissue-change and may at least leave a permanent weakness. You know, too, what a black reaction comes upon you. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. Why should you, for a mere passing pleasure, risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed? Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable."

He did not seem offended. On the contrary, he put his finger-tips together, and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair, like one who has a relish for conversation.

"My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram, or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exaltation. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession, or rather created it, for I am the only one in the world."

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 am 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
Teach me to second guess myself. I was going back and forth between inspy's and the real one for awhile. I chose... poorly.

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness