Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:45 am 
That's right. You read the subject right. I am pleased to announce the existence of the Official Sluggy Freelance Roleplaying Game, written by the illustrious R. Brent Palmer (that's me), with much consulting from the magnanimous Pete Abrams (not me).

Okay, I've got quite a bit of info for you. Bear with me, or skim till you find something that looks important. Whatever.

We're fairly confident the system is complete; we just need to find out if it's any good. Might help, right? Therefore, I will be running a playtest at Dragon*Con! And I want *you* (or, y'know, any Sluggite roleplayer who might be at D*C) to help me out!

Dragon*Con is Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta; all the info you need can be found at www.dragoncon.org . To get a membership for the Con, go to http://www.dragoncon.org/dc_members.htm .

As for the game, I'll be running three sessions, on Friday from 6 to 10 pm, Saturday from 6 to 10 pm, and Sunday from 10 pm to 2 am.

To register, go to http://gaming.dragoncon.net/event_search.php , click on the menu that says "Game System," scroll to "Sluggy Freelance (RPG)," and click the button that says "Search." No matter what it says, this game does NOT require special or on-site registration; go ahead and register. Please don't register for more than one session, 'cause I want to extend this chance to as many Sluggites as possible.

I'll be providing pregenned characters, but I'll also be around half an hour early for each session to help anyone who wants to make their own. Look for a guy in a black and white "Cat in the Hat" hat.

And that's it for the Dragon*Con portion of this post. Oh, yeah. Also, Summer Glau from Firefly is going to be there. Not at the Sluggy game, at Dragon*Con. Not that that wouldn't be cool and all.

As for sending the game out to Sluggy Forumites for playtesting, like we were planning last year... I'm still planning to do that (though probably on a more limited basis than we originally planned). However, I'm not going to start that until I have a .pdf of the game and I'm ready to send it out (which may take a little while, partly because I keep making changes as I go, and partly because you'd be amazed how complicated getting a series of PageMaker files into a single .pdf can become).

Okay, that's it. If you have any questions or anything, get back to me... I'll be here.

Last edited by Kahn on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:33 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Cool! I won't be at Dragon*Con, but if/when you have .pdfs for playtesting purposes, I run a gaming group at school where we hop from game to game and they'd be up for a little playtest. I also know for a fact that the school computer labs are up for printing out multiple hundreds of pages from disk or the 'net provided that they don't need to print color.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:12 pm 
Cool. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to decide (how's that for indecision?) who gets to play and who doesn't... I may even just go with the first couple of people who respond to me when I'm ready.

(And, hey. Printing should be easy for you; the book is in black and white. I wanted to do a full-color book with nifty multicolored fonts all over the place, but Pete said something about color doubling printing costs or something...)

Now, if I can just quit making edits to the system and get it .pdf'ed...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:16 am 
AOL: sugarraygross
I'd consider playing, if only I could get there...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:30 pm 
We'll miss you there, man. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:25 pm 
THIS JUST IN:
The deadline to preregister for games at Dragon*Con is August 11th. So, if you want to play, get that registration in there!

(Yeah, if you don't make it in time, I'm pretty sure you can register at the Con. Or just walk up to the table and ask to play. Whatever.)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:29 am 
Yahoo Messenger: poisonivyy_ae
I can't make it to Dragon Con, which sucks 'cause I would *love* to play the RPG.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:42 am 
People should definately sign up for this, I've been involved in many of the early playtestings and its lots of fun... and Brent is a great guy. :P My own ability to warp space, time and work enough to get down there is looking tough, but I hope you guys have a blast!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:33 am 
AOL: sraedi
I'll be at Dragon*Con but I'm pretty sure I can't dedicate four straight hours to.. any.. one.. thing. : /

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:32 pm 
It's cool, man. I'm sure I speak for Sluggites everywhere when I say we understand short attention span.

As for all of you who won't be coming to D*C, take heart! We do intend to print this thing soon! (I'd try to tell you how soon, but I'd just be wrong.) There will be Sluggy-gaming for all who seek it...

Post subject: I wanna play!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:08 pm 
Hey man. I can't make it to D*C, but I would love to check it out. sound like a lot of fun. can't wait to see what you guys have come up with!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:17 am 
Will Neenja the (non-)Ninja Bear make an appearance? I want a donut, damnit!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:52 pm 
To answer your real question... (For those who don't know, Neenja the Bear was Pete's character in one of the early-early playtest sessions. His greatest power was making donuts. It inspired the "Useless Skill" system, which is now a pretty important component of the game, in my opinion. In fact, I think Pete came up with the phrase "Useless Skill" and I made up the mechanic off the top of my head. Harukaze knows that because he was there, playing a martial artist/inventor girl named Korea. She was cool. And now you know...)

Parentheses aside... 'Fraid if you've read the header on sluggy.com that links to this thread, you know as much as I do. As far as he or anyone knows, he's not going to make it, but hope springs and all.

That was actually one of the reasons we decided to unveil the game at D*C... I decided it would be too much of a travesty to allow Dragon*Con to happen without *some* representation of Sluggy. And Pete apparently agreed, because he allowed it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:53 pm 
Almost definitely will not be able to make it. :(

It's a shame, because I'd probably have a blast.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:06 pm 
Neenja didn't make donuts, silly Brent, he made donut! One at a time, remember? :D

I really wish I could be there. Seriously, to everyone going, you're in for a lot of fun. I don't know a roleplaying game more fun than this one. And if Pete had fun playing it back when it was still work in progress, you know it's gotta be a great game now that it's done. Or mostly done, I'm guessing, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in playtesting :)

Oh, and I think her name was actually Corea. She was from Korea originally - her parents had a sense of humor [or so they thought, anyway].

*sheeps* And apparently I hadn't read the blurb on the main page well enough. I think I stopped reading once I got to the link ^_^

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG