Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:09 pm 
OK, I've been out of the Spec game since Riff and Zoe got DFAed to DOR, so I may be rehasing old thoughts here.

And I don't think I believe this, though it's certainly plausible:

1) Where is DoR Bun bun? AND DoR Santa? For that matter, DoR Schlock certainly know about DoR Aylee; where is she? DoR Gwynn?
2) How does the modified Timeless Space of DoR fit into things?
3) Will the repair job inovled the third DoR deus ex ovum?

Mainly pointing out that there are a LOT of plot threads Pete hasn't even begun to fight with. Not to mention DoR K'z'k cult, and that if/when Riff gets back home he and Torg have to deal with Schlock, Straw, Oasis, and the K'z'k cult. (With knowledge of timeless space and a lot more going on.)

I dare say there is a LOT of Sluggy goodness yet to unravel here. Go :riff:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 pm 
I agree with Physicist on alla that. There's SO MUCH going on there it's unreal. (Ok that's literal, I guess.)

I do miss my Bun in this story arc. :bunbun:

I am also wondering how on earth That-Riff and Izzy are going to get back together given that That-Riff's aged so much and Izzy keeps getting rebooted. What's the limit to the nanites' ability to restructure an elderly person?

And what is seeing an old version of himself going to do to "our" Riff? Let alone the knowledge that the other Riff loves Izzy? I've not followed the strip from the first, but IS there an Izzy in "our" universe? What is the knowledge of this other universe going to do to Riff in general? I can see it either strengthening him or breaking him. I hope it isn't the latter.

And yes definitely, GO :riff:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:48 am 
Astronomer wrote:
I am also wondering how on earth That-Riff and Izzy are going to get back together given that That-Riff's aged so much and Izzy keeps getting rebooted. What's the limit to the nanites' ability to restructure an elderly person?

DoR Riff doesn't use Medical Nanites 3.0 (the ones with the reboot function). He uses Medial Nanites 2.0... which slow aging (it is unknown if MN 3.0 do as well... but it is insinuated they do not). Not to mention aging counts as catastrophic damage... at least according to Rammer... so to revert back to younger DoR Riff would need a snapshot from when he was younger... a snapshot he has no way of getting... hence why he hasn't de-aged himself. DoR Riff was likely 30+ at The Betrayal... add another 60 years since then and he is nearing his hundreds... and that's not even counting how much time he may have spent time traveling before returning to DoR. Physically he is likely about 70 years old... up to 75 if MN 2.0 only slow aging at a 6:1 ratio (I doubt it's much less... wouldn't have kept schlock from dying or becoming bed ridden from old age otherwise).

The flip side is that DoR Riff could wait till Izzy gets... er... ripe... and switch her to MN 2.0... and they can be happy old people.

Personally, if I was Riff, I'd reboot her one last time (or not if she didn't like the idea) and switch her to MN 2.0 while she was still "young." I'm sure in a world with resurrection medicine sildenafil citrate (BAH! spam filters, look it up) is decidedly low-tech. And even MN 2.0 can repair minor damage... so broken hips and what not are only a temp7orary annoyance. I see no other reasons they couldn't be happy together despite the physical age difference.

...I'm gonna go scrub my brain with Clorox now...

Astronomer wrote:
And what is seeing an old version of himself going to do to "our" Riff? Let alone the knowledge that the other Riff loves Izzy? I've not followed the strip from the first, but IS there an Izzy in "our" universe? What is the knowledge of this other universe going to do to Riff in general? I can see it either strengthening him or breaking him. I hope it isn't the latter.

The current running theory (that I've heard) is that the female Minion Master... as in the "real" Minion Master's sister... is the Dimension of Nifty Izzy.

As for the rest... I really dunno... but something tells me the bad-ass Riff of Dangerous Days is gonna make a cameo real soon.

You really should go back and read from the beginning just for the enjoyment of it. I really don't feel that Sluggy ever had a "figuring it out" period. Even most of the earliest strips are very entertaining. I will warn you that most stuff before Fire and Rain, and especially That Which Redeems, is more light hearted and cutesy. Sluggy got hit hard with a case of Cerberus Syndrome after That Which Redeems... not that I think that's a bad thing. It's worth dumping an hour a day into. You can be through the whole thing in a couple weeks at that rate.

Physicist wrote:
OK, I've been out of the Spec game since Riff and Zoe got DFAed to DOR, so I may be rehasing old thoughts here.

And I don't think I believe this, though it's certainly plausible:

1) Where is DoR Bun bun? AND DoR Santa? For that matter, DoR Schlock certainly know about DoR Aylee; where is she? DoR Gwynn?
3) Will the repair job inovled the third DoR deus ex ovum?

The only evidence we have that anything magical exists in DoR is the Rammer's acknowledgement of the Fate Spiders and the his later acknowledgement of K'Z'K. But for the two dimensions to be so similar (the two most similar dimensions seen yet in the sluggyverse) almost everything and every one that exist in one should have existed in the other... up until the annihilation event any way. It also follows that with only a few differences history would have played out very similar.

So far we know that DoR Riff continued working for Hc right up untill the betrayal. We know that Schlock was running Hc openly. We know Torg knew of this and was ok with it (or at least wasn't going to end his friendship with Riff over it)... which likely means the events surrounding Dangerous Days never happened.

Also it is stated that DoR Schlock saved DoR from K'z'K. Not Berk... Schlock. This could be Rammer aggrandizing his father... but it fits better if it's true. Gwynn and Alyee might have gotten time blasted (properly in Alyee's case) if Schlock was running the show instead of (the idiot) Berk... removing them from the picture early... something Riff would have been very ok with if he felt about them the same at that time in DoR as he did at that time in DoN (Gwynn was playing with the book of E-Ville and Alyee was still eating people). Torg also wouldn't have been mad at Riff since Riff didn't do it. Torg would, however, be mad at Schlock... which might explain how easy it is for him to believe Schlock could be His Masterness.

And it's possible bun-bun never made it out of timeless space the second time... so he would be there still... stuck in the now (really) timeless void. That would also make the third Dues Ex Ovum unavailable. Even if not the holidays were likely DFAed inot another dimension at the same time as every one else... but being magical beings they might not have survived the process. Timless space might also work as a net for such beings... causing them to be stuck there. In which case the Dues Ex Ovum is likely in timeless space... or another dimension.

But if it isn't... i wonder if it's powerful enough to fix the entire dimension... including the fate web... now that would be impressive. That said... Pete might be hesitant to use the Dues Ex Ovum's again. After all we are talking about a literal Dues Ex Machina(tvtropes.com) device. Used once or twice, especially if it's tongue-in-cheek like the Dues Ex Ovum, you can get away with it. But much more than this is really pushing the Willing Suspension of Disbelief(tvtropes.com) of your readers. Pete is a rather skilled writer though so he might be able to get away with it again.

Physicist wrote:
Mainly pointing out that there are a LOT of plot threads Pete hasn't even begun to fight with. Not to mention DoR K'z'k cult, and that if/when Riff gets back home he and Torg have to deal with Schlock, Straw, Oasis, and the K'z'k cult. (With knowledge of timeless space and a lot more going on.)

I dare say there is a LOT of Sluggy goodness yet to unravel here. Go :riff:

I think by the time DoN Schlock and DoN Hereti Corp are dealt with those other plot threads you mentioned are gonna get pulled in. This has already been hinted at heavily. But there is likely another year or two left before this mega-arc is finaly over... after that... who knows.

Gonna be a fun ride no matter what.

/2 dollars and 66 cent

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:12 pm 
Physicist wrote:

Jormungandr wrote:
Gwynn and Alyee might have gotten time blasted (properly in Alyee's case) if Schlock was running the show instead of (the idiot) Berk... removing them from the picture early... something Riff would have been very ok with if he felt about them the same at that time in DoR as he did at that time in DoN (Gwynn was playing with the book of E-Ville and Alyee was still eating people).

I think the consensus is that the 4U Citizen being "judged" in panel 5 here is DoR-Gwynn?

Anyway, spec: Izzy doesn't make it.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 am 
Jormungandr wrote:
i wonder if it's powerful enough to fix the entire dimension... including the fate web... now that would be impressive.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt that it could fix everything, at least not directly. It was only ever stated to have the power to set the Holidays right, not anything else. And if you look at what happened when Bun-bun used the last in DoN, that's just what it did - all the Holidays were set back in order, but nothing to do with K'Z'K, the cult, hC, Oasis, etc. was altered. At best the Holidays themselves could work to set the world right again.

And while I'm here, I'll make my first official spec (long-term):
DoN Zoë was DFAd out of the 4Universe before the current Riffolution began, and ended up in Timeless Space.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:52 pm 
Spec for tomorrow:
Old Riff spazes out about so much more portal usage. Then the universe itself begins to crack apart.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:31 am 
The Bushranger wrote:
I think the consensus is that the 4U Citizen being "judged" in panel 5 here is DoR-Gwynn?

ooo... nice catch to whoever spotted that... yeah that really does look like Gwynn.

Hmm... throws my Schlock-time-zapped-Gwynn theory out the window.... but that just means k'z'k was removed from her before being zapped... much the same as before. That, however, also throws doubt on the Alyee-got-zapped-for-good theory which in turn makes the Schlock-instead-of-Berk theory questionable.

It was a group of aliens that un-froze alyee in DoN... maybe for some reason that part didn't happen in DoR? *shrug* I'm grasping at straws now any way.

Regardless... if Dangerous Days didn't happen in DoR then that strongly implys that Alyee was "dealt with" before that time period. After all it was the Alyee/Clonee project that set Dangerous Days into motion. And the fact that Riff is still working (more openly) for Hc and Torg knows and is ok with it strongly implys that Dangerous Days never happened... as the big reveal that Riff worked for Hc and Hc's dirty tactics concerning Alyee nearly destroyed Torg and Riff's friendship in DoN.

Anyway... I've missed some opportunities for some really juicy spec... better get back in the game.

Thursday Spec:
    Harbinger shows an interest in specifically protecting 01209
    01209 thinks the outsiders are part of the city
    Oas... er... Harbinger appears and saves Riff and 01209... again
    01209 reboots
    Rammer is unable to swap places with DoR Riff so he can take control
    The AI is revealed to be modeled on Dr Schlock's mind ("terrified behind its smile?" if ever there was a better description of Dr Schlock I haven't heard it)
    Torg's... rebooted memories... are some how reversed... bringing him back into the fold
    Izzy goes to find Torg
    Izzy ends up rebooting due to chem overdose

jmpuglia wrote:
    Spec for tomorrow:
    Old Riff spazes out about so much more portal usage. Then the universe itself begins to crack apart.

Piggyback that

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 am 
jmpuglia wrote:
Then the universe itself begins to crack apart.

Yeah, definitely piggybacking on that one. And for some reason I can't shake this image of Riff running at a portal, carrying Zoe, while the universe falls apart behind him, with a big cliffhanger as to whether or not he actually escaped.

But for tomorrow, 012's not dead. She's just really hurt and will reboot. And Riff will go Dangerous Days on stuff. Not sure where he'll get the yellow glasses and black trenchcoat though, didn't see a glasses hut or a trenchcoat hut anywhere.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 pm 
jmpuglia wrote:
Spec for tomorrow:

Respec.

Harbinger kills the outsider.
01209 reboots.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:20 am 
WLM: [email protected]
The med clinic that Riff finds has Zoe in it. Boom!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:57 am 
Respec Old Riff spazzing about the portal usage.
Riff finds Zoe at the med-clinic. (weatherwax beat me to it, so p-backed.)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 am 
Yeah, I'm going with Zoe in Med-lab or was in the medlab. Problem is it's too obvious and Pete dont do obvious

That or 01209 = Zoe.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:47 am 
whaaa...? so the medical nanites aren't self replicating? er... hmm... I've made an erroneous assumption... wonder how many of my conclusions have been effected.

If medical nanites are limited use... and have to be injected as needed... that makes things very interesting. Certainly it eliminates the "every one is immortal" problem... but... er... hmm... I suppose aging would still be a non issue... some one is getting old and and goes to the med clinic... inject nanites... reboot... problem solved...

but... what about the "reboot them all" deal? Kinda hard to do when only a tiny fraction of the population has medical nanites in them... only that fraction would actually get rebooted. And reduced aging from the MN 2.0 would only work so long as you constantly pumped the damned things into you.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I mean I can come up with explanations but they are all rather convoluted. Like having every one show up for mandatory medical check ups right before a reboot... but if you miss some one then your gonna end up having to judge them. And reduced aging would require some one to be permanently plugged into the his-masterness pod. But what about the rest of the population between the advent of MN 2.0 and MN 3.0. What did they do? Daily medical checkups? 4U would have needed more medical personnel than pipes works and chem vats workers combined. The M.O.M.M.Y.s perhaps? And why did Schlock need to EMP himself to die? Couldn't he just wait for them to wear off? Worried he would chicken out maybe?

I dun like it... *shrug* liked the idea of ever present self replicating nanites much better. I mean all the other nanites in the city seem to self replicate. *sigh* oh well.

Friday Shotgun:
  • Harbinger shows an interest in specifically protecting 01209
  • 01209 thinks the outsiders are part of the city
  • Harbinger covers Riff and 01209's escape from the building
  • 01209 reboots as soon as the MN 3.0 are injected
  • 01209 dies... cue Dangerous Days Ahead Riff(yeah that's right, teamed up with bun-bun and freaking oasis to assault the Hereti Corp HQ and the mother of all Alien Monsters)
  • Rammer is unable to swap places with DoR Riff so he can take control
  • The AI is revealed to be modeled on Dr Schlock's mind ("terrified behind its smile?" if ever there was a better description of Dr Schlock I haven't heard it)
  • Torg's... rebooted memories... are some how reversed... bringing him back into the fold
  • Izzy goes to find Torg
  • Izzy ends up rebooting due to chem overdose
  • At the medical clinic it is revealed 01209 is Zoe (i think this is a piggyback... not sure)
    weatherwax wrote:
    The med clinic that Riff finds has Zoe in it. Boom!
  • Piggyback
    jmpuglia wrote:
    Respec Old Riff spazzing about the portal usage.
  • Piggyback
  • my list of specs gets even longer

EDIT:
Marcus wrote:
Problem is it's too obvious and Pete dont do obvious

Riff saved 4U city from the rogue AI by UNPLUGGING IT. Pete most certainly does do obvious... just not often.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:20 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Alt-spec =

01209 is Zoe. Why? It's in the numbers, Nostradamus style!

01209 = 90210

9 = Z

0 = pronounced as "oh" rather than "zero"

1+2 = 3 = E

Extra 0 = filler

ZOE

Of course, this is starving and I have 20 minutes till lunch spec :sasha:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:52 pm 
Alternatively, it's just a play on 90210 the show... heh.

Anyways I'm back in the game. For my long-term spec, I'm saying what I said in my new theory thread here

Short-term spec: tomorrow we'll get info on the medical nanite 3.0 and hear about the soldiers clearing out the buildings.

End of Line.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat