Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:44 pm 
I been listening to NPR a lot recently, I enjoy it as they're one of the least biased of news sources. However I've noticed that that various shows on NPR have had people from “conservative” "think tanks," who I think of as silver tongued devils. These people just spout lies, manipulations and at best half truths. Given the format of NPR callers are able to confront the lies and many times the hosts do as well. I don’t want a “liberal” FOX news, were I only hear my own point of view, but such blatant liars on the air doesn’t seem right. Maybe if NPR booked more liberal guests that would balance it out.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:38 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
You mean, sufficiently liberal that they were spouting lies? I'm not sure that's the fix we really need.

In terms of being ACTUALLY fair and balanced, well, someone does need to be representing the right (and each of the various elements thereof). Someone ought to be out there who can do so honestly.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:46 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
You know, NPR's "On the Media" did a huge report last spring when the station was accused of liberal bias. I recommend it. Basically it found that NPR does WAY more international news and in depth national news for little-covered stories than any other station. So, the typical liberal/conservative hot-button issues don't get the same kind of play on NPR than it does in other news souces. Therefore, the rating of liberal/conservative for NPR is actually pretty balanced. There was some indication that NPR falls a little left, but their audience, even the conservative audience (which is actually pretty sizable), is pretty forgiving.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:53 pm 
After thinking about this more, there could be a PR blitz on the part of the right wing think tank due to elections. I remember it being more balanced in the past. It seems I was not the only one who thought was bothered by the interview jugding by the commits http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2012- ... erica-made.

Last edited by KillerBee256 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:54 pm 
The right has so successfully sold the idea of the "Liberal Media" to the public that media outlets, including NPR, feel compelled to give equal time to conservative voices to prove their neutrality. They can't do much to counter falsehoods because that immediatly gets spun as proof they are liberal and stifling conservative speech, therefore leading to even greater self censorship. Booking more liberal guests won't help. IMO the best format would be a show with a team of behind the scenes Google monkeys fact checking a guest in real time and feeding that info to the host via earpiece/computer screen/ect.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:51 am 
drachefly wrote:

In terms of being ACTUALLY fair and balanced, well, someone does need to be representing the right (and each of the various elements thereof). Someone ought to be out there who can do so honestly.

The right first needs to find truth to say.

Quote:
IMO the best format would be a show with a team of behind the scenes Google monkeys fact checking a guest in real time and feeding that info to the host via earpiece/computer screen/ect.

Or you can listen to BBC, Aust ABC or Al Jazzera who do not pander to Fox News dribble or even give it a second's worth of dignity.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 am 
WLM: [email protected]
I heard Al Jazzera is pretty great.

I think I'm gonna check them out.

OH! For a laugh, go check out Russia Today. Oh, my god, it's amazing. It's like they ground up all the snark in Russia, purified it and broadcasted it around the world to counter the U.S.'s international networks.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts