Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:58 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Those who enter the store are greeted by a simple shopkeeper. He gives a simple message "What do you want to buy?" And then a large window pops up with a list.

Alchemist Fire: 100 Yoren (thrown item does fire damage)
Shock Sphere: 125 Yoren (Thrown item does Electrical Damage)
Dark Ball: 160 Yoren (Thrown item does Darkness Damage)

Flash Orb: 110 Yoren (Activated item blinds enemies for 2 rounds)
Tangleglue: 200 Yoren (Thrown item slows enemies)
Sleep Powder: 190 (activated item fatigues or sleeps enemies)

Power Crystal: 250 Yoren (Boost strength for 4 rounds)
Swift Brew: 200 Yoren (Boost agility for 4 rounds)
Bright Elixir: 210 Yoren (Boost wisdom for 4 rounds)

Cure Bulb: 80 Yoren (Cure 50 HP)
Cure Blossom: 150 Yoren(Cure 150 HP)
Sap of Life: 400 Yoren (Ressurect a dead ally with 20% hp)

Power Astra: 400 Yoren
Magic Astra: 450 Yoren
----

Karie reads through her tutorial on crafting. The first thing to note is that only Smithers can create and upgrade equipment. Other players will never reach further than item crafting. NPC smiths exist.

The second is that crafting requires a special item type, known as Astra. Appearing as a sort of gem with a glowing star inside, Astra are the encased power that allows smiths to alter weapons. Weapons can be upgraded almost indefinately, and the more you level one, the strongest it gets in comparison to others, but the Astra costs grows each time. Getting a newer weapon with less upgrades on it might do better.

There are two types. Power Astra does a raw upgrade, enhancing the weapon's direct stats and eventually the level and Tier, changing weapons into higher versions and new types. Upgrading first has a numerical effect, and, if prerequisites are matched, can transform the gear into a new one entirely. New models of a weapon drop the Astra cost slightly, but depending on how high the earlier model was leveled, there might be an initial drop in stat, or added on effects may be lost or changed.

Magic Astra, on the other hand, add elemental style alterations to the weapon. Each element has a range of effects, from the heated, direct nature of weapons(Sharpness, simple style) to the ornate cruelty of Darkness. Elemental connections do not necessarily change the damage type, but allow for weapons to be adapted in a variety of styles and options, and may unlock new weapons altogether.

More detail can be found as you play the game, but in general, fire is straightforward, water is flower, wind is swift, earth is stalwart, darkness is cruel, and light is pure. What that means depends on the level of the Smither and weapon, and what is chosen to be done with it. Upgrades can be anything from Cosmetic(which has some meaning, but mostly in the physics engine by the shape of the weapon) to stat changes, to elemental damage. Also, elemental affinity can change the types of weapon evolution available to you.

The elemental Affinity of a Smither allows them to do certain types of enhancement to higher efficiency and power than others, depending on how they level. At early levels, there won't be large changes other than some useful gimmick elements, but this changes as the game progresses. We hope you enjoy this system! As a hint, you may find it useful to craft or acquire weapons of various stat and trait builds to be more adaptable to different types of situations.

Rector nods to Clarence. "The inventory system is partially automatic. The staff will be stored automatically. Examine it in the main menu by clicking on the portrait of your avatar to enter storage and equipment mode."

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:55 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
Karie finishes the tutorial and sighs a little. "What kind of game binds crafting to specific classes? Hrmph." A thought occurs to her, though, and she begins thumbing through the tutorials on Master class, looking for any class specific features other than combat.

After that, she goes to the store and buys...

Power Astra x 1
Magic Astra x 1
Cure Bulb x 1

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:26 am 
Karie's tutorial reads thusly on her assigned class.

The Master class is the class of swift and decisive violence. High in attack precision and damage, low in defense and stamina, they rank in the top two classes for speed. Common weapon types for Masters include short swords, fencing weapons, claws, quarterstaffs, and many other weapons that emphasize speed and skill over the power of the swing. The element of the Master class most commonly alters the focus of their skills, with more attack defined elements(Fire, Dark, Wind) tending towards multi hit combos, and more defense defined elements towards counter attacking styles.

The standard branching path of the Master is the Weapon Expert path and the Speedster path.

Her inventory chimes, and an icon showing an anvil on her main menu flashes. Clicked, it shows all of her starting gear glowing, with the Level option marked. A dialogue box says "Find a blacksmith or a Smither to upgrade your gear!"

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:20 am 
"Neat!"

Clarence fiddles with the inventory for a bit, showing the new Plague Staff and setting it as his default weapon. He fiddles with the interface a bit more, trying to read the stats of his new weapon. Then he follows the others into the shop, looks over the goods on display, and prudently purchases some Sap Of Life.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Maya ponders a bit, browsing through various menus. Like Karie, she takes a further look at her own class, as well as trying to make certain that she understands the crafting system as best as she can before she makes any purchases.

She buys...

Power Astra x 2
Swift Brew x 1

(1000 spent)

She then proceeds to look around to see if there is an NPC blacksmith somewhere in town that can upgrade her armor and her weapon once each with the Power Astras she just bought.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:54 pm 
Karie is a bit disappointed that nothing immediately stands out for non-combat proficiencies, but she is curious to see if she can get more information about Combos and the Weapons Expert branches, so she starts thumbing through those, completely ignoring the suggestion to find a blacksmith or Smither. Who would waste their effort enhancing a weapon this low on the scale? Seems better to evolve then enhance rather than enhance then evolve...

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:31 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Kai browses the entire shop, checks some things in One's menu, and makes a choice. Kai purchases 1 Power Astra, 1 Magic Astra, and a Cure Blossom. Items in arms Kai darts over to Teiresias and smiles, "Care to test out your crafting system? I'd like these both applied to my weapon please."

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 am 
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
Brand is about to make some purchases, but then goes and double-checks his status screen first. After reviewing it, he nods and says "right, thought so. I don't have enough to buy an upgrade yet. Hmm... Well, I might as well buy a couple anyway, just to hold on to them. He then purchases a pair of Power Astra, as well as a pair of Cure Bulbs. He pockets the remaining 40, and heads back to the others.

"Right then, all done shopping. Want to go talk to all the NPCs and see if there are any sidequests?"

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:58 am 
Teiresias stands up from his position on the ground, where the Rat Master headbutt him. He brushes himself off, and looks around the town, only barely noticing the NPC dialogue about the tutorial being finished. "Well, that's not very realistic." He murmurs to himself. "Fires don't just stop because you've killed the bad guy. Even magic has rules about this sort of thing." He sighs, and slings his hammer over his shoulder. "I'll have to do some research on ontological inertia in regards to magically based effects. Books tend to leave that information out, but..." It is at that point that Teiresias notices that the rest of the party has left for the shop. "Perhaps I should just focus on having fun for now. Research later." He follows the larger section of the group into the shop.

"So many choices. And this crafting and leveling of weapons reminds me of an old game. I wish I could remember what it was called." Teiresias smiles brightly and chuckles. "Ah well, I suppose it is of no importance." He takes a huge stride towards Clarence and pats the fire mage on the back. "You saved my life back there friend. I said I would protect you, but you ended up protecting me! Another round, and that rat would probably have skinned me alive." The smile widens. "You're an excellent companion. I'm glad you're a part of this group." He chuckles, and then hears Kai's request. "Well, I suppose it couldn't hurt. Give me a minute to figure this thing out."

Teiresias opens up the menu, scanning for information on crafting, enhancing, and upgrading weapons and armor with his particular character type,

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 am 
ThyLordQ wrote:
[Teiresias] takes a huge stride towards Clarence and pats the fire mage on the back. "You saved my life back there friend. I said I would protect you, but you ended up protecting me! Another round, and that rat would probably have skinned me alive." The smile widens. "You're an excellent companion. I'm glad you're a part of this group."

"Thanks! I'm just glad that we seem to heal up automatically after combat. It wouldn't have been nearly so nice if we'd had to immediately spend half out cash on curing items, after all."

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:23 pm 
Karie learns basic information on the two branches. Weapon Expert type paths learn special single shot techniques, for the most part, powerful strikes. They also learn more utility type powers, debuffs, and can learn new types of exotic weapons. Their higher branches often leads to Unique weapon using and powerful technique classes.

Comboes focuses far more on speed. These types of moves are small, quickly recharging types. The point of Combo fighting is to chain together skills to use their connectivity to have specific damaging effects.

(OOC: Marked off screen)

Teriesias, on requests from Kai, opens his Craft menu. It directs the two of them to a nearby building, where an Anvil is set up. Upon placing the weapon on the anvil, the menu starts up again, asking for the craft options. on discussing it, the two of them select Level up for the physical Astra, and for the Magic, Earth, sub select Elemental Damage. Prompted, T then strikes the weapon with his hammer. It flashes, and then changes. There is a slight coloration on the weapon now, a greenish tinge along the edge of the blade.

OOC: just guessing that you're pretty much done, but also forcing things along now. need to get b ack on track.

The players then gather, ready to leave the tutorial's island. Walking through a short path in the forest once more, they come across one last clearing. In it, is a standing shining archway, with a swirling distortion in the middle. But before any of them can think to access the gate way.....

There is a distinct visual distortion. For a moment, several of the trees gap, becoming translucent, like half finished models. The quiet ambient sounds of nature and faint music of the peaceful village hiccup, stuttering. The gate simply...vanishes. A chime plays once again . "Warning: er-r-r-r-rerror-ro-ror. B-oss-bo-ss-ss-boss incoiming-ing."

Out of the air a large figure falls, landing in the center of the 80 foot circle. It pulls itself up on two limbs. a good 10 feet tall, it appears to be made out of twisted, gnarled wood and limbs, pulled into the shape of a massive mammam. Claws made of thorns, teeth of twisted sharpened broken twigs, it stands over there. A name and icon appear over it, as the glitches subside, ad it lets out a massive roar.
[The Oaken Bear]
HP:???

Kai: 160HP
Teiresias: 130HP
Clarence: 80HP
Brand: 70HP
Maya: 125HP
Karie: 95HP

Trees curl up behind the players, leaving no retreat in the zone. The forested beast lowers its head, and more spiky protrusions appear along its back as it lands on all 4s. Even now, it is at least 5 feet high, and much longer than it is tall. It roars again, and this time the hiccuping cadence appears again, distorting the sound for a moment. It levels itself at the party, ready to charge.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:50 pm 
On the way out of the zone, Karie tries to keep her pace slightly faster than the rest of the group, so she's out in front (mostly to keep Kai's chatter out of her hearing range).

This has unfortunate results when she ends up being right there when the Bear appears.

"[CENSORED]! Where'd this boss come from!"

"And why the [CENSORED] can't I swear?!"

That observation wasting a precious second, Karie hastily unsheathes her sword and dodges to the side, then attempts to throw the bear off balance with two quick attacks, a strike to the bears arms to cripple it and a spinning strike with the other blade to try knocking the bear back and prone.

[Action 1-2: Crippling Strike - Arms @ The Oaken Bear]
[Action 3-4: Spinning Strike @ The Oaken Bear]

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Kai walks along, twirling the upgraded halberd with glee when the glitch hits.

"Um..."

And then there's a giant bear made of a tree.

"........[CENSORED]!"

Kai dashes, shouting as one flies "Something's wrong! Don't let it hit you! Run! Get away!!" Kai leap-frogs over Karie as she finishes her attack and brings One's new Halberd down hard on the beasts head, followed shortly by a swipe at it's eyes. "I'll distract it! Try and get the trees down!! Climb them! JUST GET THE HELL OUT!" Kai spins One's Halberd and tries to stay between the Oaken Bear and anyone it may charge.

[Action 1 - Head Slam]
[Action 2 - Blind Slash]
[Actions 3/4 - Spinning Block]

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:05 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Maya immediately leaps into action... backwards, backing out to just within range of her Long Shot Technique.

[Action 1: Move to farthest range possible for Long Shot]
[Action 2-3: Long Shot @ The Oaken Bear]
[Action 4: Be ready to move away if the boss charges her way]

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm 
"Everybody stand back, this thing's made of wood!"

Wood burns. Especially nice, thin wooden spikes, which should catch fire and flash into ashes almost instantly. Clarence washes the oakbear in fire, and then throws more fire at it.

1. Flame wave @ oakbear
2. Flame spark @ oakbear

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG