Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:13 am 
The Trump nicknames are proliferating. To Trumpasaurus Wrecks, I would like to add

Trumplethinskin
Lord Dampnut (anagram)
Mango Mussolini
Gropenführer

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:53 am 
In German you can get:

Trumpel (from Trampel http://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/trampel) or Trumpeltier (from Trampeltier, actually a seldom used name for type of camel, but mostly used as synonym for Trampel)

The a in Trampel (and derivates) is prnounced like the u in Trump.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:15 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
So Trump has apparently backed down on Taiwan in a conversation with Beijing. Assuming he meant it, of course. I'm sure our friends in Pyongyang are hoping he didn't, or is simply too thick to keep it in mind.

Oh, and all the rest of the high crimes, misdemeanors, incompetence, and stupidity. The poor fellow can't afford to look like he got two things right in a day, it would exceed his ration and cause problems tomorrow.

And it seems Flynn was talking to the Russians, but forgot. Has any Republican since Reagan not done a deal with hostile foreign powers while running for president? And if so, was it an oversight?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:59 pm 
Every foreign affairs minister in every world capital must be thinking "Christ, what an idiot this one is". How easy it is to manipulate him with flattery and insult. All Xi Jinping did to get Trump to cave on Taiwan was refuse to speak to him until he did. So much for Trump's tough talk.

Apparently Theresa May has been cozying up to Trump (incurring domestic criticism) because Obama advised her to - better Trump listen to the conservative Prime Minister of Britain than a human underpants stain like Nigel Farage.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:17 am 
So Flynn has now fallen on his sword. RuPaul probably had the best response.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:51 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Yup, out like Flynn. Mind you, the House has already announced that they will not look into the links between the head of the GOP and Putin; they officially don't want to know, and as Republicans from utterly rotten boroughs they don't have to. The Senate might not see it that way; utterly rotten states are a bit harder to come by through gerrymandering. We'll see.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:16 am 
Well, that's one nutbag conspiracy theorist down. At least they'll have someone relatively sane in charge of the national security apparatus(1), provided they can keep Bannon's greedy mitts off. Bannon's angling to oust Reince Priebus though (no matter how many times I type that name, it looks like a typo). What would it take to get Trump to ditch Bannon? A pedophilia scandal?

It's just come out that Trump's entourage had contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials all through the 2016 campaign. That's not suspicious at aaaaaaaaaall. Now to watch Congressional Republicans twist themselves in pretzels saying it's perfectly normal for a political campaign to be talking to foreign spymasters on a regular basis.

(1) Relatively sane is now a very low bar. Most of Bush's regime change-obsessed neocons would pass it. At least they didn't believe supermarket tabloid conspiracies.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:42 pm 
Just what the hell is going on with the FBI right now? I mean, didn't they want Clinton to lose because they were so convinced she was shady? That's why they strongarmed Comey into announcing the Surprise Weiner Email Investigation. Have they suddenly realized that Trump is even worse? How did it take them until after the election to figure that out?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:35 am 
Kea wrote:
Just what the hell is going on with the FBI right now? I mean, didn't they want Clinton to lose because they were so convinced she was shady? That's why they strongarmed Comey into announcing the Surprise Weiner Email Investigation. Have they suddenly realized that Trump is even worse? How did it take them until after the election to figure that out?

What are you referring to?

But i suppose they might have been thinking, that Trump would soon become a puppet of ordinary republicans, rather then of of political adventurers. I would have assumed that his presidency would have started more like the usual pattern for career changers, who start in the first or second row in politics, without prior political experience. Some flashy but not very effective activism, and the meat and bones of their politics is done by their experienced advisors and underlings, that they inherited from career politicans of their party.

I wonder if that is due to the republican party being too disorganized, or if there was something else that made it happen. I mean if the republican party establishment were organized, they could have presented Trump with a team of their advisers, and dealed with the adventurers by bribing them away, giving them impressive sounding positions, where they wield little actual powers, divide them out in comitees, where they'd then be a single voice in their comitee, or simply thrown them out, if there was an opportunity.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:31 am 
About 2 weeks before the election, James Comey, the director of the FBI announced he was reopening the investigation into Hillary Clinton's unauthorized email server. They had found a cache of Clinton's emails on the laptop of her aide Huma Abedin's husband, Anthony Weiner, who was himself under investigation for sexting an underage girl. Comey announced this even though they had no idea whether there was anything incriminating in those Clinton emails or whether those emails had been already been found and analyzed before. Then about a week later, Comey announced that it was much ado about nothing, and there was nothing new in those Clinton emails.

It was widely speculated at the time that Comey had been pushed into reopening his investigation by a faction of agents who had a serious thing against Clinton. They'd spent years investigating her but never quite managed to catch her doing something illegal. Many of them supported Trump (unsurprising; law enforcement leans Republican). To tamp down the internal rebellion, Comey had to prove that he wasn't protecting Clinton.

Now less than a month after Trump wins, the FBI is leaking furiously to undermine Trump's administration. Did they switch sides, or are their dueling factions in the FBI? Why did the anti-Trump leakers wait so long? Surely they knew about Trump's Russia contacts beforehand.

Quote:
I mean if the republican party establishment were organized, they could have presented Trump with a team of their advisers, and dealed with the adventurers by bribing them away, giving them impressive sounding positions, where they wield little actual powers, divide them out in comitees, where they'd then be a single voice in their comitee, or simply thrown them out, if there was an opportunity.

There's the difference between an American political party and a European one. In parliamentary systems, parties are much more organized and disciplined. The Prime Ministerial candidate is chosen internally by the party, and they can keep him or her in line. If the Prime Minister loses the support of his or her own party, they can hold a vote of no confidence and boot him or her out.

American political parties don't do that. They're at the mercy of their primary voters ("the base"), and they basically turn into vehicles for whoever ends up being the presidential candidate. Nobody else has the standing to dictate the members of his administration to him. They can make suggestions, but not force him.

Trump did end up taking some relatively sane people into his administration on the advice of senior Republican figues, but pretty much all presidents reserve some positions for their closest and most trusted campaign advisers. Trump's campaign advisers are complete nutters.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 pm 
From what I've heard of him, I don't think Trump is the sort to take being told what to do very well at all...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:04 am 
Well if i remember the Abedin/Weiner mail incident correctly, they let it out close to the election and then tried to put it back into the bottle also still before the election.

So it could be, that one cabal in the FBI started it and an other shot it down.

While Trump might like the grand leader role, whom nobody tells anything, but he seem to be not organized enough, to actually push any consistent plan. So it would be a perfect setup, for a puppet master* behind him pulling his strings, following the basic pattern of "And now trusted advisor, tell them my genious plan".

But given the current status of his administration, it looks more like multiple puppet masters, working against each other. So a cabal in the FBI being in cahoots with one puppet master, and trying to shut out the other puppet masters, or trying the shoot down the puppet, because they lost control of the strings does sound plausible to me.

*either a single person, or a committee

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:17 pm 
CCC wrote:
From what I've heard of him, I don't think Trump is the sort to take being told what to do very well at all...

That's exactly right. If he listened to advice, somebody would have told him not to do that completely insane press conference. Even his aides seemed to want to wash their hands of responsibility - they said it was all his idea.

Now he's back to holding rallies because governing is boooooring and haaaaaaard. He's going to try to keep the whole country in campaign mode for 4 years. As long as everybody treats politics like a football game, he's at an advantage.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 am 
Kea wrote:
Now he's back to holding rallies because governing is boooooring and haaaaaaard. He's going to try to keep the whole country in campaign mode for 4 years. As long as everybody treats politics like a football game, he's at an advantage.

...I wonder if the other branches of government can take advantage of him by persuading him to sign things shifting the burden of all the hard, boring parts of government onto them, giving him more chance to do media appearances, and basically reduce the power of the post of President to precariously low amounts?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:19 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Nope; Bannon et al would never willingly let power make it's way down the street to Congress.

I wonder if this new National Security type will take the job?

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts