Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Oasis: Innocent Blood?
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:14 am 
Is Oasis innocent?

On the pro side-

*She seems to be a victim
*She has several childlike qualities and naivities that are frequently assosciated with innocence
*The evil things she's done aren't necessarily her fault
*She's never succesfully killed a good guy.
*Torg's subconscious seems to think she'd be sufficient to charge Chaz.

On the con side-
*She's a killer
*She's hateful and jealous
*That's really it, but the whole "killer" thing is a pretty big strike.

Whaddya guys think? Is Oasis innocent, or at least innocent enough for Chaz?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:22 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
I don't remember the comic, but Chaz says that 'innocent' is a term that his master would understand. It could be that Torg's perception of Oasis is what is making her 'innocent' for the use of the sword. It really depends on who's version of innocent we are using. Remember, Kiki is considered innocent by most of the people on these forums, but according to dear old Santa Clauses naughty and nice list...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:25 am 
This is Torg's subconscious, remember. HE seems to consider her innocent. Whether the real Chaz would as well remains to be seen. Also, the idea that Chaz could kill Oasis permanently might mean she's some sort of demon or Chaz does indeed suck souls from his victims. Or Torg just thinks he does. How much of this shadow-world stuff is canon to sluggy prime, anyway?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:29 am 
It's canon insofar as it represents Torg's thoughts. That's it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:11 am 
I have a sudden terrible premonition that Oasis will give herself lasting peace on that sword, and I don't like it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:12 am 
AOL: SimonJester1v1
Location: Look at me still talking when there's Science to do!
As far as I can tell, the spec-consensus is that Oasis's ability to reincarnate hinges on having a stockpile of cloned bodies somewhere, probably near Dr. Steve's lab.

If Chaz can strike at the soul of a victim (unclear, I think), then it might kill Oasis by destroying her soul in her current body. However, that depends on your perception of the soul. Do all the cloned bodies have their own unique souls, but retain continuity of memory with their predecessors? Or is the 'soul' something that is transmitted from body to body as each clone is progressively reactivated? Is continuity of memory proof that "Oasis #N" has the same soul as "Oasis #N-1"? And if so, what would happen if all the Oases were reactivated the same time (other than massive redheaded ninja-gymnast attacks)?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:24 am 
Chaz seems to have a caustic effect on everything it touches. Think of it as a spiritual poison. With the Demon King, it barely scraped across his blade and the toxic effect somehow crawled up his 'veins' and nearly killed him. Something similar may have happened to the poor bloke who shed his own blood to power Chaz... and even alt-Gwynn's healing powers couldn't do jack.

I have a feeling that if you put Chaz into the heart of Oasis, the poison would spread like wildfire to all copies. Hell, if you plunged the sword into a computer screen, you could probably kill the internet the same way.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:43 am 
AOL: Surgoshan
I think the only necessity for powering up Chaz is that the wielder think the victim is innocent. I think Torg will (or should) soon realize that he knows Oasis is more a victim than he in their relationship.

And so is Zoƫ.

In fact, that only be confronting the problem can he deal with it.

Whoa. So totally zen.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:17 am 
But is killing something truely confronting it... or is it merely another form of running.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:00 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Here's a thought... since Oasis keeps returning... would the new ones bear the sins of the old ones?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:13 am 
AOL: Surgoshan
Well, let's see... the sins of the mother to the fifth, the sins of the father to the ninth... I believe the next verse reads, "the sins of the self forever and ever, barring some odd form of cloning..." but I'm no Hebrew scholar.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:58 am 
Yahoo Messenger: tangleRED
AOL: saveghy
Oasis is Innocent becasue she doesn't choose to kill,, she may be thrust into situations where she has to kill, or had to kill,, but short of the one time she treid to take out gwen, I can't recall a time she Tried to kill..

perhaps "Innocent", just means that is has to be someone you don't want to kill?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:15 am 
tangleRED wrote:
Oasis is Innocent becasue she doesn't choose to kill,, she may be thrust into situations where she has to kill, or had to kill,, but short of the one time she treid to take out gwen, I can't recall a time she Tried to kill..

perhaps "Innocent", just means that is has to be someone you don't want to kill?

Fire and Rain? She pretty much looked like she wanted to kill Zoe...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:17 am 
Consider over the years how many people and demons Torg has killed...

Maybe innocence is relative to the sword-holder... If your body count is lower, you're "innocent"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:52 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
I really think that innocence, even as it applies to Chaz, is an absolute, not a relative. I don't believe that it matters at all what the wielder thinks. Remember Chaz's old master? Everyone he killed, especially after his "conversion", he believed to be evil. But from the pictures, it would seem that Chaz was charged by their blood. (I conclude this because the blade looks dark, rather than metallic.) Whether it is some cosmic scale of guilt and innocence or just Bob the Blacksmith's personal code, I believe the suitability of the blood is determined by some absolute factor.

And is there an implication above that Torg could charge Chaz? Torg doesn't think so. No matter what desperate situation he was in, he never even tried to use his own blood. Nor does Chaz ever suggest doing so.

As to Oasis, I don't think you can point to the events happening in Torg's psyche as evidence of her innocence. That just means that Torg thinks she's innocent, in some sense, not that she'd be able to power Chaz in real life. Oasis has indeed meant to murder innocent people, which in and of itself shows a lack of innocence, even if she was not able to succeed. She tried to kill both Gwynn and Zoe, and she nailed Kusari to the wall with knives (not knowing it was Kusari, I'll remind you). These are not innocent acts.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat