Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:52 am 
Yahoo Messenger: firewater_tears
Location: I figured, everyone's doing the self avatar thing, why not me?
Here's a question for you all. Does anyone know of any decent places that serve good (or at least good sounding) Low carb and low (to no) sugar foods?

no sugar chocolate cake.. mmm

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:14 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
An Argentine grill, a Rumanian steakhouse, an Irish grill...anywhere you can get lots of meat for dinner with vegetable matter strictly optional.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:20 am 
Uhh. ok. Low carb AND low fat, and to be safe, low salt.
Low flavor? hahaha. Fearful are those who watch their diet for the sake of their health, for they are cravin'.
:pun:

(Edit for spelling, typos, etc.)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:41 am 
WLM: See the profile name.
Quote:
Uhh. ok. Low carb AND low fat, and to be safe, low salt.
Low flavor? hahaha. Fearful are those who watch their diet for the sake of their health, for they are cravin'.

well...

i don't know of many restaurants that offer a good option that offers both. having said that this is a food thread, not a restaurant thread.

Extra lean cut of meat, and fish would be viable options. If your looking for some less traditional options, tofu can be prepared a variety of ways and can be quite appetizing, depending on how it's prepared. i personally prefer soft tofu, but most people are much more familar with hard tofu, which has a different taste. I'm not entirely sure of the rules for a true atkins diet. tofu ≈ 1g of sugar, which, ≈ 1/15 of a calorie from carbohydrates. As a diabetic, i don't even need to cover that with insulin.

one the dessert side of things, i've had a number of low calorie, sugar free ice creams that were pretty good. Unless your a dark chocolate lover, though, i wouldn't suggest trying the chocolate versions. Citrus, and mint flavours distort the least amount. Blue Bunny makes some good sugar free ice cream.

anyway... thats as indepth as i can really get on this sorta topic. As a matter of neccesity, i'm much more aware of high calorie, high protein foods.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:58 pm 
Nifty Admin of Doom
Nifty Admin of Doom
Almost any restaurant will have options...

on the more high end side..
Most nice restaurants serve grilled/broiled/whatever salmon or other fish. just order with veggies and salad sides. Longhorn Steaks has a great salmon. A filet mignon is actually surprising healthy, comparatively, as well.
Pork tenderloin is also low in fat.
Sushimi is great if you want to avoid the rice and go low carb on sushi.

In general, salads with grilled chicken or fish will fit the low carb and healthy bill, just do oil/vinegar dressing, and stay away from the low fat dressings, they are high in carbs. and a trick, order lemon and squeeze on salad, and sprinkle pepper liberally. then you need less dressing.

Boiled shrimp are tasty and great. Cocktail sauce has sugar, but used sparingly, not too bad.

For chinese food, go for egg foo yung instead of rice dishes. or skip the rice.
At Indian restaurants, go for tandoori. or if you're less strict, again just avoid the rice and go for anything.

Beans are a healty, not too high carb, source of food. Chili, black or red beans and sausage, anything like that. If you make at home, use ground turkey breast instead of hamburger meat to cut the fat. Green chili with lean pork or chicken is a great option too.

At mexican, go for fajitas, and skip the wraps if you like, and just eat the yummy insides.

Vegetarian and vegan restaurants also tend to be good choices, just load up on the healthy veggies.

IIRC, i posted some low carb recipes on the sluggy_food community on livejournal when i was doing South Beach.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:23 am 
Thanks Dot! Qcks.. I'm Diabetic as well, and trying to find a restaurant that can/will offer "healthy" options is hard. The only one that I've found that will even attempt it is Denny's.. oddly enough. And that's mostly because we're good friends with one of the waitresses.
Although, I've noticed that Foccacia bread affects my BG (blood glucose, or blood sugar for the uninitiated), a lot less than most burger buns, so I end up getting my sandwiches on that.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat