Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

LCol John McRae, 1872 - 1918, Field Surgeon with the Royal Canadian Artillery during the Second Battle of Ypres in 1915

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:09 pm 
From one (former, but still willing) soldier to another, thank you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:42 pm 
AOL: insane3rhyno
Read it before, great poem.

Soldiers MAX! For the record, my dad's military.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:49 pm 
I have a picture I get out every year. I took in in England years ago. Kew Church, on a cold, overcast Rememberance Day morning. Everyone is still asleep, the church is quiet, the green fading and covered in fallen leaves. At the foot of the old stone cross is a wreath of red flowers.

To my grandfather, who risked his life freezing behind a machine gun a mile above the French countryside. Arlington is his home now.

To my uncle, who taught a generation of new pilots what they needed to make it home.

To my aunt and the stars on her shoulders. Had the plane not bounced, she would not have left the Pentagon.

To my father. Combat engineer and marksman. Can do.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:57 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
I was the Regt Sig O to a Combat Engineer Regiment, and inducted into the Venerable Order of the Pukka Sapper.

Engineers truly rock.

CHIMO!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:24 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: robotoflamancha
AOL: Shreddies90
On a lighter note, they really, REALLY need to improve the poppy pin design. I always end up going through like three of them, and end up feeling like a ungrateful moron whenever I see a veteran.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:33 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Here's to the poor bastards who served on both sides of no-man's-land; even if they missed World War I.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:58 am 
Great poem, thanks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:10 am 
Transcription of an editorial I did for the school paper.
(This is Veterans Day)
It's always an open question on the remembrance of war, because war is, inherently, an evil thing. It may in some way serve some higher purpose, and I can certainly think of two examples where that, in the end, was irrevocably true, but to glorify war is to glorify state approved murder on a massive scale.
And yet the men, and women who fight in war are human beings, and they have made a sacrifice. That sacrifice is not always for the greater good, but it is certainly for the men and women beside them, and for their own humanity. Ironically, at least here in a America, this is forgotten by the extremes of both sides, those who villify the veterans, and those who willing forget them in the name of what they supposedly fought for. We do need to remember our wars, especially those our country sent, perhaps not willingly to fight. Perhaps it is only to serve a greater human need, but we owe it to them, even if they were actors in tragedy.
By remembering the places they fought, the places of their sacrifice, the ground they consecrated with their own blood, we honor them. Remember them as both battlefields, and as graves.
Therefore:
Saint Mihiel, Bellau Wood, Chateau Thierry, Argonne, the North Atlantic, Pearl Harbor, Bataan, Midway, Guadacanal, Kasserine Pass, Tarawa, Anzio, Saipan, Omaha, St. Lo, Falaise, Arnhem, Hurtgen Forest, Leyte Gulf, Manila, Bastogne, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Pusan, Inchon, Yalu River, Chosin Reservoir, MiG Alley, Ia Drang, Khe Sanh, Tet, Hue, Lam Son, Mayaguez, 73 Easting, Kabul, Baghdad, Tikrit, Fallujah...
and many more, too many to be named, but still no lesser for those that fought in them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:17 pm 
Gotta love Liberal Bias.

Really you do. Someone starts a thread on how our Veterans should be honored and points out facts and it gets locked because this forum is about 80% Pot Smoking Hippy Relativist, and 20% Sane Americans.

Yes, you would be speaking another language if it weren't for our veterans. Don't you ever forget it. Germany was committing genocide, as was Japan. They wouldn't have stopped. Today our veterans fight a thankless war with waffleing tree huggers at home shouting insults at them. They fight so you can continue to throw insults at them, that is how much they love freedom.

The war in Afgahnistan and Iraq have prevented another attack on America, need I remind you 9/11 was the last act of terrorism in the US by a foreign power? Under Clinton we had several because he wouldn't invade, and instead fired missles into cities from afar, with far greater loss of civilian life, per terrorist killed.

I hope one day the 80% of you who like to practice arm chair politics, and strip mine the moral base of America with your liberal ways will wake up and realize that our Soldiers are sacrificing for you, and it is time to respect them.

It's a sad sad day when people feel veteran's day is useless or inappropriate.

Moreover I find it sad and frightening that liberals, who claim to be for free speech, only want the "right kind of free speech", i.e. liberalism and liberal lies. The second others voice an opinion contrary they censor it, lock it up, and hide it behind their smoke screen.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:22 pm 
Website: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=122705047
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: marauderpilot
ourkansas wrote:
Germany was committing genocide, as was Japan.

And yet we killed more then both of them combined.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:23 pm 
AOL: Surgoshan
Ourkansas, your thread was locked for the same reason your post is likely to be edited; we don't talk politics in General Chat. You're ranting about politics here just as your brought up politics there. Stop it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:23 pm 
Marauder_Pilot wrote:
ourkansas wrote:
Germany was committing genocide, as was Japan.

And yet we killed more then both of them combined.

Intent matters. We weren't trying to exterminate a people because we thought they shouldn't exist. We were trying to save the world, and we succeeded. We also stayed behind afterwards to help them rebuild their nations and to help steer them towards a better path.

In the long run it worked out for both of them, and we spared the world from a reign of evil.

Try telling France or China that we could live and let live with Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

Quote:
Ourkansas, your thread was locked for the same reason your post is likely to be edited; we don't talk politics in General Chat. You're ranting about politics here just as your brought up politics there. Stop it.

No, my post is liable to be edited here because people here don't like to have to look at politics they don't agree with, and don't want to hear other points of view. It's what we call censorship, and violation of free speech. You only want to hear your own safe opinions regurgitated back at you.

There are no politics in my posts, just pure facts backed up with emperical evidence.

Last edited by ourkansas on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:28 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
We have POOP for a reason. If you want to talk politics it has its place. If you're here for other, less controversial matters you can enjoy GC because the POOP stays in POOP.

And as this thread is a forum run by private individuals they have every right to ask the users to keep certain lines of conversation in different sections. Its no less censorship than if I tried to run an RPG up here and was asked to move it to FRPG.

[Content removed - Kea]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:30 pm 
Skitzophrenik wrote:
We have POOP for a reason. If you want to talk politics it has its place. If you're here for other, less controversial matters you can enjoy GC because the POOP stays in POOP.

And as this thread is a forum run by private individuals they have every right to ask the users to keep certain lines of conversation in different sections. Its no less censorship than if I tried to run an RPG up here and was asked to move it to FRPG.

I was already told point blank in a PM by a moderator that I wasn't allowed in POOP because they don't want another conservative there. I was actually told that conservative viewpoints weren't appreciated.

How's that for censorship?

I'm not being political here, just saying "Respect your veterans". It isn't my fault liberals try and polticize a national holiday for our national heros.

[content deleted - Kea]

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts