Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:24 pm 
Hey everyone.

Mods, you can lock this if you think it's not necessary, but I think that the movie tourney thread's gettin all kinds of crowded with discussion, i'm sure it's making it hard for Malice to count points.

I propose we talk about movies in here, why someone voted one way for instance or if you want to defend your movie's choice or explain why you think it should be number one.

Edit:
Noone in no way shape or form is obligated to talk about their choices. It's their vote, they can use it however they want.

However, if you have a question about someone's voting, or want to explain your own, then by all means discuss it in here so we don't take up too much space in the other one.

Last edited by elementalrain on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:26 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
I think that when people vote down a popular movie they should offer some explanation of why. A lot of the time when I see something great getting negatives, I wonder if the people so voting have even seen it -- especially something like Serenity, where it's largely backlash against the large fan base here on Sluggy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:31 pm 
I think that's acceptable too.

For instance, I voted down Annie Hall because I happen to not like Woody Allen movies. That's my preferance.

I voted down Airplane! Because while I think it's a great movie, I don't think it's one of the greatest movies of our time.

And I killed Starship Troopers 'cause it was just a joke to be on the list in the first place.

I think to save space and prevent those threads from going to fast, you can post next to your vote "Explanation in explanation thread" or something like that. That way you can explain it in full without making that thread go to ten pages uberfast..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:32 pm 
Agreed. I'd just suggest as a matter of courtesy to provide some kind of explanation... it's a lot easier to take "Oh, she doesn't like my favourite movie because it's too sarcastic" than "She voted down my favourite movie? But it's perfect, what could she dislike about it? She must not even have seen it!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:34 pm 
This thread can stay for now, though nobody should be obligated to explain their voting decisions here if they don't feel like it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:35 pm 
Yeah, it's not an obligation so much as a matter of courtesy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:36 pm 
Kea wrote:
This thread can stay for now, though nobody should be obligated to explain their voting decisions here if they don't feel like it.

Yeah i started this not to force people to say what they were doing, I for instance wasn't going to explain anything...

but people were asking. And i'd rather not have a thread locked in 2 days when it could last 6...

So noone is obligated to post anything. Ill put that in the top

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:21 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
For the most part I'm going with gut feel, since 95%+ of the movies on the list are excellent.

As for what I've specifically voted down so far:

Starship Troopers - Do I really need to explain?
E.T. - Good movie, but as time goes on it just seems less and less classic.
Moulin Rouge - I just don't like it.
Serenity - This one was interesting. I liked the movie a lot. But I don't think it stands on its own. Friends I saw it with who hadn't seen Firefly were completely lost. Which is fine if it's the second or third movie in a series (like say, LOTR), but not if it's supposed to stand alone. So, it's not so much a movie as a huge-budget series finale that got into theatres vice TV, IMHO. In many ways I think it's comparable to "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars." So, while a great "movie" in many ways, I can't really think of it as a Movie.

If you see my point.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:27 pm 
@OldCrow
So you're voting down Serenity less because of your own opinion and more because of the opinion of some friends of yours? Contrary to your experience, I know a lot of people who saw it having never watched the TV series and loved it... but to each his own. I just find it odd that you would vote down a movie you consider to be great so early in the game, but at least you've got some rational...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:15 pm 
This one's a lot harder than the music game..'cause seriously..everything is good. Like, if ANY of these movies makes it to the top 10, I would understand why....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:49 pm 
Watched Serenity last night (and all of firefly over the weekend) and i think its biggest problem is an identity crisis.

It doesn't introduce the characters and stuff enough for those new to it (it came pretty close though) but yet it doesnt cater enough to the fans, and ignores some events from the series. (Why would Mal be such a jerk to the doc and why would he and River leave after all they've been through (notably Ariel and Objects in Space). And why were Jayne's actions in Ariel (and Simons response later on) completely ignored?)

The villain was awesome though. He and Early should be pretty high up once the "Greatest Movie Villains Ever" roles around.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:58 pm 
Website: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=122705047
AOL: marauderpilot
I also wish they'd have included the comics into the movie somehow. I read them before watching the movie, but a lot of people I've talked to said 'But WTF was Book doing at Haven? He didn't even say he was leaving.'

*Spoilers*

Which is all covered in the comic book. Book and Mal get in a fight over their assorted jobs and God, Mal hits him, Book decides it's time to leave.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:15 pm 
I, too, am one of those people who'd never heard of Firefly before Serenity came out. I loved the movie, and still really haven't seen much of the series. Just the first episode.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:49 pm 
AOL: Astaereth
I have no problem with the reasons for voting going on in here (not that I could stop you if I did...). Any other sort of discussion can go in the other thread, though, and certainly doesn't hinder my vote tabulation.

---

I talked to my friend yesterday about Serenity and he said that the film contains a ton of "plot-line wrap-ups" from the show (since this film had to be the ending, thanks to the cancellation) which is a great many pay-offs for fans of the show but don't really impact those who are new to the series. More reason not to watch it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:57 pm 
Nah, it's a good movie on its own. Like I said, I'd never even heard of the series, and I enjoyed the movie.

On voting down movies you've never heard of. I don't think it's an invalid tactic. If you've never even heard of it, how great could it possibly be compared to all the other movies you might've heard of but not seen? Of course, that depends on your definition of "great". Joe Schmoe on the street has a different (but no less valid) definition than Mr. Critic up on his high-and-mighty seat.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness