Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:48 pm 
Hey everyone, I hope this is the right section to pop this in.

I was thinking to myself, what's been happening with everyone since I was last active on the threads, and it occurred to me that it was last year, more or less.

What's happened to everyone? Tell me your story.

Me:

I moved from Hawai'i to San Francisco, in pursuit of something other than Hawai'i. I now work for an amazing website that many of you probably use, but am still deciding if I should tell you folks which one it is.

I've met a bunch of wonderful people, and am living right in city.

Island suburban girl moves up to become a city girl, for those of you who have known me my whole time on Sluggy, you know this is my dream come true.

What about you?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:22 pm 
AOL: Assiah+Kalecgos
Seeing as I'm making a return to these boards as well I'll post my story

Started going to ITT tech last summer and have been doing very well, I'm studying in Computer Networking Systems or CNS. Learning some fun stuff, like how to program, how to work windows server 2003, how to use linux, different standards and protocols, stuff like that.

before that I was playing WoW alot, finally quit about a month and a half ago, as the game got to boring and repetitive to me. I'm planning to play Warhammer Online with a bunch of friends from school and some old friends from WoW.

Working on getting a job right now, I need some income but I dont want to be folding cloths or flipping burgers so I'm looking for internships at big companies to see if I can get some on the job experience for the field I'm going into....that and save up enough money to goto Boston for St. Patty's day.

other then that not much has changed in my life, I still live day to day, I still have a sick and twisted sense of humor, I still read sluggy and other comics almost daily and I still have way too much time on my hands.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:04 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
Finished grad school, got a job that has nothing to do with my field, got engaged, and did a fair bit of traveling (and yest still have not been West of the Mississippi).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:07 pm 
AOL: Surgoshan
I read that as "Finished grade school..." which made "got a job" all the more impressive.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:42 pm 
AOL: alkthash
Hrm, graduated high school. Spent most of the summer working. My mom surprised me in July, informing me that she was moving to Arizona. This normally wouldn't be a problem, save for the fact that I never applied for college housing*. Spent most of July/August desperately seeking housing. Failed.

Eventually I made the suggestion that I should just stay in the empty house until it sold. After all, they would still have to pay utilities and the house payments. So now I'm living alone and I take the bus to UWM everyday.

*Back when I was filling out college apps, I asked my parents if I should bother applying for dorms or just stay with them and save money. They immediately told me that they weren't moving anywhere, so I should just go to school from home.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:15 pm 
I'm amazed at what everyone's done!!!!

Do you think this is the proper place to put this thread, oh great mods?

I can't believe i'm an "older" sluggite now, i'm 25....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:57 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
I loved, I lost, I went to law school.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
elementalrain wrote:

I'm going to put it in GC, since it's a proper discussion and not a silly one.

Since last year I've switched from 60-hour weeks to 20-hour ones, which is nice, except for the fact that I'm poor now. I passed nine classes, failed one. Got my own apartment and a fluffy kitty who is super-whiny. Started Lexapro and counseling, both going well. Went on a few dates with a couple lovely girls but still, wretchedly, single. It's been a good year for me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
This time last year I moved to Australia from my last field job in Hawaii. I temped in Sydney till January before moving to New Zealand where I started my PhD. Since then I have left Wellington once, though I am off to Tonga in three weeks for a break. My PhD involves islands (which i can't go to) birds (which I only get to see dead in a museum) and stats (which are everywhere).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:10 pm 
elementalrain wrote:

pft you are only 2 years older then me, not that old.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:12 am 
AOL: Astaereth
I'm now on my second year of college. Still haven't gotten drunk. Starting to take some film-related classes, but I don't actually start my degree until next year.

In the meantime, I've been writing. But it's hard. There's a reason my location has been "heartbeat city" for a long time now.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:44 am 
Klepto-Man wrote:
elementalrain wrote:

pft you are only 2 years older then me, not that old.

You are both CHILDREN!!! :torg:

I'm commuting far too much, and trying to decide if I fit into my "new" career well enough to run with it for a while. I'm doing what I did 15 years ago, before I did my 11-year stint in what is now called "IT" (being self-taught and having no degree had impeded my options after the Dot-Bomb to the point I just took what I could get, job-wise - single with no kids, but PG&E keeps knocking on the door every month; I had to do something...)

Mr. "The environment is kinda neat, with cool physics experiments going on all around me... but government jobs are iffy, and we never know what's around the corner..." Jest

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:55 am 
first of all jest I prefer the term immature adult :P

Malice wrote:
I'm now on my second year of college. Still haven't gotten drunk.

that is a class 4 whiskey tango foxtrot. if you are of drinking age in the area you live (I'll assume nothing until told otherwise) go find a bar, and order drinks until you find one you like or you fall over drunk, even if you never do it again its a good learning experience >.>

Try a white russian, very tasty.
or if you are feeling like a man try a Guinness (its the meal you can drink).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:01 am 
AOL: Astaereth
I'm not of drinking age. I've tried at two or three parties to get drunk, but I can't stand the taste of alcohol unless it's a mixed drink, and if mixed I end up drinking too slowly. I've gotten a little tipsy, but that's it so far.

I had intended to keep trying, but my roommates this year are all heavy drinkers and it's putting me off the idea.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:38 am 
Eh, being drunk is over-rated anyway.

Me, I got insomnia from lack of sunlight, moved house to somewhere with more sunlight, and wrote a short book on something dull and political sciencey.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat